• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Locker

stewie said:
i dont use 4x4 in the snow too much as i dont want the false sence of security (i still have only four cappy MT/R's to stop me in the snow) so i like to stay in 2 wd as much as possible.

I can’t speak from experience regarding the lockers, but I can about driving in the snow. I have a stock 2000 XJ, lots of plate no lift, and I have lived in Western New York for over 40 years. Even when there is only 2-3 inches of snow on the ground being in 4WD dramatically reduces my stopping distance. I run my XJ in 4WD even if it’s just a hard driving rain at speed on the highway.

i run only a front locker and its a hell of a lot better than open f/r. i would do the front locker first since it will pull you over stuff a lot better than the rear locker will. however when side-hilling on mud and stuff, it has a tendency to swing the nose down the hill. definitely a different animal then the rear locker. i went to the mounds (michigan) on one of the wettest nastiest days over the winter and got stuck a lot with open f/r. i went back about 2 weeks later after it rained the entire week and went the the same things i got stuck in a week prior, thanks to the locker.

on the road my lock right is invisible, i cant feel or hear any clicks and it drives really smooth. on the trial, as soon as you throw it in 4wd the locker engages since there is a load on the front drive shaft.

i out wheeled my buddies 97 with 7" of lift, ax-15, 4.10's and locked rear, with my locked d30, 3.55's and 32's.

as long as you have one axle locked, it will help you out tremendously.

Back