• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front leaf spring x-member pics

XJ_ranger said:
ha ha ha ha - not really - panhard with leaf springs? Shackles that hang way out there? Steering under the leaves?

what boggles me is that he wants to put leafs on and then use a D30. most people swap to leafs to avoid coil and control arm bracketry expence on an axle UPGRADE...
One step at a time guys, unlike most people, I don't have an unlimited amount of resources at my disposal. I am going to get the leaf springs on and put the d30 under there to work the bugs out and then get my d44...
Goatman said:
The front suspension of a YJ really sucks. Nice that you want to put it under an XJ....... :looser:

But, going backwards is really cool.

:wave:

:D :D
As for you goat man, opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and it usually stinks...

David Taylor said:
I think the same could be said about a lp 44
and why is that? gear strength is not a realistic issue, and with the knuckles turned I have great pinion and driveshaft clearance. I hit just about everything under my truck on Rubicon and Fordyce rocks last summer, but NEVER my pinion or front driveshaft. And I saved about $400 vs. HP.

now a D30 he might save $50, but be left with an axle with CRAPPY steering, and none of the other good things about a D44 (brakes, hubs, housing strength, balljoints).

David Taylor said:
I think the same could be said about a lp 44

let me here your reasoning on this one, tell me how it is a waste to upgrade from a disco hp30 to a 30spline lp44 with hubs. the swap was cheaper than buying warns hub kit for the 30, and I got bigger axles, better steering options, ect...

davidt said:
One step at a time guys, unlike most people, I don't have an unlimited amount of resources at my disposal. I am going to get the leaf springs on and put the d30 under there to work the bugs out and then get my d44...

try here
http://www.car-part.com/
bout 90.00 for an HP d44 outta a ford and about 120.00 for a 9" outta a late 70's ford. But thats Nebraska - where scout D44's are still plentiful and cheap. Everyone out here had a scout when they were new... 3 running condition scouts in the yard i was at 2 days ago...

Why do people do this? With all of the welding and work you are doing to mount the leafs you could of had a linked coil suspension that would have performed better. I know ease of height adjustment, cheaper, blah, blah, blah. I have all of those and a HP d44 front that required less work and was cheaper than the c-rok brace it that cross member. Do not do this with a d30. pick up at least a waggy 44, low pinion is not the best but almost anything is better than a yj d30.

BrettM said:
and why is that? gear strength is not a realistic issue, and with the knuckles turned I have great pinion and driveshaft clearance. I hit just about everything under my truck on Rubicon and Fordyce rocks last summer, but NEVER my pinion or front driveshaft. And I saved about $400 vs. HP.

now a D30 he might save $50, but be left with an axle with CRAPPY steering, and none of the other good things about a D44 (brakes, hubs, housing strength, balljoints).

I'm sorry. I got my LP and my Hp all mixed up. Let me see now, what I really want is Lp and leaf springs. Right. I will do anything to get a 44 up front.
Is that super cool camper special d44 Lp. I want to go camping.

David Taylor said:
I'm sorry. I got my LP and my Hp all mixed up. Let me see now, what I really want is Lp and leaf springs. Right. I will do anything to get a 44 up front.
Is that super cool camper special d44 Lp. I want to go camping.
wow, what an educational response :rolleyes:

I am well aware of the pros and cons of leafs vs. coils, and that has been beat to death. But what exactly is so terrible about a (gasp) low pinion axle when the pinion is turned up? Clearance and gear strength are not practical reasons, so what is it?

BrettM said:

I am well aware of the pros and cons of leafs vs. coils, and that has been beat to death. But what exactly is so terrible about a (gasp) low pinion axle when the pinion is turned up? Clearance and gear strength are not practical reasons, so what is it?

If I was running an LP front axle, with my T-case tucked up as much as it is, I would max the CV joint at full droop with 12" travel shocks. My CV is clearanced for max travel while still retaining the inner seals.

Is that a good reason? Got any solutions to that?

CRASH

BrettM said:

To me an upgrade is supposed to be just that, an upgrade. "I" don't see an LP as one. Your right, leaves vs springs have been beat to death. I think going to leaf springs is a major downgrade.

David Taylor said:
To me an upgrade is supposed to be just that, an upgrade. "I" don't see an LP as one. Your right, leaves vs springs have been beat to death. I think going to leaf springs is a major downgrade.

You're so closed-minded.

Think of the high speed performance! It would be sweet to trundle across the desert at low speeds while inducing internal bleeding due to kidney failure.

Now that's my idea of fun.

CRASH

OK guys, back on subject. He just wanted to know what we thought of the crossmember right, needs more mounting points on the right. And now back to being off subject. I have a Ford Explorer with YJ springs (stock), d30 YJ and a rear d35 and 33x9.50. Truck has been thrashed, no problems yet, and an explorer is alot heavier. Anyhow I still don't like the d30 or d35 but they were free and the front has a locker, 4.10 gears tooo. Will be going to waggy axles later, but for cheap temporary fun you can't beat them. Also to go completly off subject Glocks SUCKS for accurate shooting (works well in water and dirt) Sig Sauer is the way to go for accurate shooting, just ask any air marshall. Just thought I would throught that one in for Crash.

Simon

Last edited:
Jes said:
It sucks that I don't have axle wrap in my front end. :(
That is so sad, because I LOVE axle wrap! It is the greatest thing ever! Anyway, I got your seats jes, they are in awesome shape! I am lovin em!

davidt said:
That is so sad, because I LOVE axle wrap! It is the greatest thing ever! Anyway, I got your seats jes, they are in awesome shape! I am lovin em!

:D

I'm glad someone could use them. :)

simonsxj said:
OK guys, back on subject. He just wanted to know what we thought of the crossmember right, needs more mounting points on the right. And now back to being off subject. I have a Ford Explorer with YJ springs (stock), d30 YJ and a rear d35 and 33x9.50. Truck has been thrashed, no problems yet, and an explorer is alot heavier. Anyhow I still don't like the d30 or d35 but they were free and the front has a locker, 4.10 gears tooo. Will be going to waggy axles later, but for cheap temporary fun you can't beat them. Also to go completly off subject Glocks SUCKS for accurate shooting (works well in water and dirt) Sig Sauer is the way to go for accurate shooting, just ask any air marshall. Just thought I would throught that one in for Crash.

Simon

Defensive weapons need only be so accurate. I have a very good feeling that my Glock can handle any instance of defensive shooting.

25,000 rounds of competition at various defensive pistol shoots through the years (though sadly "zero" comp. rounds in the last 3 years) backs up my point.

It's all about the 3 pound trigger, and good handloads. ;)

CRASH

Go Casull or go home.

BrettM said:
.......and with the knuckles turned I have great pinion and driveshaft clearance. I hit just about everything under my truck on Rubicon and Fordyce rocks last summer, but NEVER my pinion or front driveshaft. And I saved about $400 vs. HP.

I guess if all you do is run Fordyce and Rubicon. :D

If you're not hitting your front yoke you're not trying hard enough. I have a HP44 with the knuckles turned, and I hit the yoke all the time. On one trip last year Hinkley and I both broke u-joint bolts from rubbing on rocks with the front yoke, and we both have hign pinions. I also max out the CV at full droop, so my limiting strap is very carefully set to avoid it. If I had a low pinion it would considerably limit my travel.

Spend $400 for a HP? Gladly!! (though I only spent $150, so I guess $50 more than a LP) :)

Listen guys, everything will work to one degree or another, but certain things work really well and are worth the extra effort and expense. On a board like this where people come to learn and gather information about building their own rigs, it's inevitable that comments are made about what's good, better, and best. So, if you've chosen the lesser route, suck it up and just admit it, and try to keep your sense of humor. No one will criticize anyone for doing what they can afford, but don't try to justify it by saying it doesn't matter or it's just as good.

:cheers:

Back