• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Fender Trim Write Up (Retaining the stock flare)

No problem. I just hope I don't get a super angry email from my admins saying WHY ARE YOU USING ALL OUR BANDWIDTH :smsoap:

What kind of front bumper is that?

If you're referring to the one in the write up, it's a rigidco front bumper.

Finally uploaded them! Thanks Scott for sending them to me.

http://alum.wpi.edu/~kastein/NAXJA/Front1.pdf
http://alum.wpi.edu/~kastein/NAXJA/rear1.pdf

These files will remain here and accessible unless the web admins at WPI scream at me for using too much bandwidth.

Files are presently partially through uploading, so don't expect the links to work for about half an hour.

My pleasure sir. :cheers:

I got the files from Seiler a few months ago but I just did the front trim job yesterday.

It's a pretty straightforward concept but when you're about to turn the angle grinder loose onto a still pretty good looking XJ the pdf's certainly helped a lot with planning.

As always, it took twice as long as I expected and I had to make a trip to the store for grinder parts. It's done now but I'll probably take it back off to clean up and seal the edge.

Very good write up! Thanks to the OP and the keepers of the files.

I got the files from Seiler a few months ago but I just did the front trim job yesterday.

It's a pretty straightforward concept but when you're about to turn the angle grinder loose...

i found that a jigsaw with a fine-tooth sheet metal blade made for a more controlled (thus easier and more accurate) cut.
tape the surrounding area to prevent scratches from the base of the saw.

YMMV

I did mine with a dremel. I felt like I was shoveling snow with a teaspoon, but it came out looking pretty nice even though I was in a hurry and running completely unplanned, just freehanded it.

The problem with angle grinders is that the blade is real wide and likes to make straight-ish cuts. Great if you're doing a comp cut but not so much for retaining the stock flares.

The problem with angle grinders is that the blade is real wide and likes to make straight-ish cuts. Great if you're doing a comp cut but not so much for retaining the stock flares.

agreed about the width of the angle grinder blade. plus, it cuts SO quickly that there is a good possiility of it wandering from where you want it to go. that's why i went with the fine-toothed jigsaw. much more control. it cut through silky smooth, and easily made the curves just where i marked them.

Yeah I agree that if I had it to do over again I'd use a jigsaw but I was reasonably careful and it looks acceptable.....especially since it's covered up by the flares.
Looking at the cutoff portions I was pretty shocked at how symmetrical they ended up (especially since it was all done by the Mk1 Mod0 eyeball)

I tried the dremel but that was just ridiculously slow! You're a very patient man if that's how you cut it! :laugh3:

I still haven't tested the clearance so once I'm sure I'm done cutting I'll probably clean up any ragged edges and seal it with the trim molding.

Files are still up there. Thanks for hosting them.

Back