• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end noise -- driving me insane!

PO-Dan

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. 98 XJ 2wd with 4.0. A ******* noise like a rattle comes from the front end SOMEWHERE! I can hear when I am driving slowly and hit even the smallest of bumps. It's not a thud or a rubbing, its literally like a rattle. It doesnt last long. If i hit my brakes it stops. If I ride my breaks slightly and hit a bump, it usually will not rattle. HELP!!

rocklandxjer said:
go out front and grab the axle shaft yoke and try to wiggle it in all directions, check both sides, if they wiggle, its a universal joint on your axle shaft. if they dont, pop the hood and have a buddy rev the engine if the engine lifts higher than normal, its a motor mount problem,

those are my two guesses im leaning toward axleshaft u joint

Hey Spongebob Smart Pants, he said its a 2wd. No front axle shafts or u-joints. Dee de dee.

PO-Dan said:
Ok. 98 XJ 2wd with 4.0. A ******* noise like a rattle comes from the front end SOMEWHERE! I can hear when I am driving slowly and hit even the smallest of bumps. It's not a thud or a rubbing, its literally like a rattle. It doesnt last long. If i hit my brakes it stops. If I ride my breaks slightly and hit a bump, it usually will not rattle. HELP!!

Since this noise seems to stop when you apply your brakes, my first guess would be to take a look at your front brake calipers and pads. The outside pad in each caliper is held in place with a leaf-type spring which is spot welded or pop riveted to the pad; if this spring is loose or missing, you'll get some rattling of the pad in the caliper. The inboard pads also have a spring and it is supposed to fit snugly into a cup in the piston of the caliper. There are mounting bolts that support and allow the caliper to move; these will wear causing a possible rattle (they are usually replaced when you do a brake job). Also, the caliper mount and the caliper itself have a sliding relationship that over time can wear and create some excessive clearances providing another source of rattling.

mike
ooxj

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefuly, my FSM will be in the mail today and will help me. Right now, the Jeep is in my garage with the fender flares and bumper end caps off (painted yesterday with Fusion--wow!). I guess now would be the time to check the wheel bearings. I know it needs front brakes (they squeal pretty good these days).

For that matter, now would be a good time to replace those 2 broken studs too!

Well, the FSM arrived and I have started looking at the front end. Right off the bat, i noticed if I grab the wheels at 9 and 3 and shake, it kinda rocks back and forth a bit, with a bumping noise. But if I do the same thing at 12 and 6, nada.

Is that normal?

It depends on what time zone you are in!

That could just be because the bearing is starting to go bad and you are putting stress on the weakest point. I would replace it anyway.

PO-Dan said:
Well, the FSM arrived and I have started looking at the front end. Right off the bat, i noticed if I grab the wheels at 9 and 3 and shake, it kinda rocks back and forth a bit, with a bumping noise. But if I do the same thing at 12 and 6, nada.

Is that normal?

rotate the tire 90 degrees and do this again, is everything the same??

Dunno if it is modded/lifted, but I found a broken bolt at one end an the upper control arm...which definitely eliminated one rattle...:)

Back when I was stock, I had a rattle just like that it seems from my front end. I drove down a dirt road one day, not even offroading, and I thought that my whole front end was about to fall off.

Can't tell you what exactly it was though, because I did my lift, and then that disappeard so.

Dunno much about 2wd vehicles....but my 4x4 XJ does kinda the same thing. If not wheel bearings, I'd suggest control arm bushings or any other buchings. I know most of my bushings are shot and it makes ALL sorts of noises and goes ALL over the road! Just a thought.....

I have a rattleing noise like that but it seems to only be between 1500 and 3000 rpms once i go over 3000 or let off the gas it stops. when i reve it while stoped the noise dosent seem to be there. so i dont know if its just a noise that happens from the movement and vibration between that rpm range or what. this noise started about a month ago and lasted 2 weeks then went away completely. it came back this morning. i have a 98 xj sport 4x4 3.5"lift on 31"s.

Since your condition is very similar to philip_g, I'm posting the same response I gave him....

Check your sway bar bushings. I have 127,000+ miles on my 99 XJ and have had to replace the things at least twice. When they get worn you fell a knocking/rattling sound when you go over any bumps or dips.

If you get underneath and pull down on the swaybar and see a space between the bar and bushing above the bar, then they are probably worn. These are changed pretty easily.

The bushings are split. Do one side at a time. With the Jeep sitting level, remove the 2 screws on the bracket holding the bushing in place. The bar should sag enough to remove the old bushing which is split. The new bushing should be split as well. Put some lithium grease on the inner surface of the bushing, open it up at the split and slide it over the bar. The new bushing is not as easy to put on as the old one is to get off. Tighten the 2 screws on the bracket and you're done. Now do the other one.

Good luck.

MAP

I already did my swaybar bushings. They were worn but not the cause of my problem. I am looking at repacking the front bearings/buying new ones. I am also thinking about doing all the tie rod ends. I think I need to buy a puller to do those, though.

Back