• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft issue... what do I need to get replaced?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I started hearing an odd rubbing/squealing noise coming from under the xj a few days ago and finally got under there to look at it today as it got a lot worse. I figured out that it's where the grease fitting is at on the front driveshaft. The thing is, that cap where the fitting is at is completely loose and can move back and forth on the shaft. Soooo since I guess I'll be heading to a shop to get it fixed on monday, what am I looking at getting replaced here? Here's a pic of the cap in case anyone is wondering wth I'm talking about.
2012-05-18154030.jpg

As for my xj, 2001 4.0/AW4/231/8.25

Check for side play in that slip joint (grab it and try pulling/pushing it sideways, any play is bad) and also check the CV joint up at the other end of the driveshaft for wear or stiffness.

I've been busy over the weekend, so never got on here to update it. Well, I hammered the cap back on and filled it up with grease on saturday. I've been driving it around and the noise has improved by A LOT, but it's still making noise. Sooo, that slip joint, that's the part where the grease cap is covering, right? I moved the driveshaft back and forth and there is a small amount of play in it somewhere, which I think is what's still making the noise. The noise I hear is now a clunking, quiet but noticeable from inside the cab, and it seems to be worse as I slow to a stop. It also makes a squealing noise at ~15-20 mph.

Any advice on what to do next? Should I take the driveshaft out and take it to a shop? I'm thinking I'll probably take it out either way tomorrow to see if all of the noise goes away. I'm all about trying to fix it myself, but I live in an apartment complex with no parking, and no access to a garage :/

Oh and about that O2 sensor, I was waiting for someone to notice those wires. I replaced all 4 sensors last fall, and a couple months ago the CEL came on with a code for the bank 2 sensor 2. Well apparently the wires had been rubbing on the driveshaft and it had rubbed clean through them. Instead of replacing the $80 sensor again, I clipped the wires a little shorter and unplugged it and left it. It's on the list of things to get to... eventually

I've been busy over the weekend, so never got on here to update it. Well, I hammered the cap back on and filled it up with grease on saturday. I've been driving it around and the noise has improved by A LOT, but it's still making noise. Sooo, that slip joint, that's the part where the grease cap is covering, right? I moved the driveshaft back and forth and there is a small amount of play in it somewhere, which I think is what's still making the noise. The noise I hear is now a clunking, quiet but noticeable from inside the cab, and it seems to be worse as I slow to a stop. It also makes a squealing noise at ~15-20 mph.

Any advice on what to do next? Should I take the driveshaft out and take it to a shop? I'm thinking I'll probably take it out either way tomorrow to see if all of the noise goes away. I'm all about trying to fix it myself, but I live in an apartment complex with no parking, and no access to a garage :/

I guess it could clunk around if it has a lot of play. maybe from driving around for a long time with no grease? make sure to check your driveshaft u-joints as well. they could also be causing a clunking.

if it's just the driveshaft id go to the pull-a-part and get a used drive shaft that seems to be in good condition.

here is a vid i made on driveshaft u-joints, i talk a bit about how to tell if they are bad:

its not the ujoint, its the top joint with the ball in it

Yup. I was just about to post this. I just drove to O'Reilly's and used a shady spot in their parking lot to take out the driveshaft. Ahhhh the ride home was awesome. Turns out that it was also making a noise when I would go over small bumps that I had thought was coming from something in the front end somewhere. So the u joints seem to move smoothly all around, but that top joint binds up in certain areas. I'm fine driving without the driveshaft for the time being, and won't need 4wd any time soon, so I'll have to figure out whether to get this all fixed or just pick out a new driveshaft from a junkyard. From what I know, the pickings are pretty slim around here for XJs though.

Back