• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driver side clunk

Borgli

NAXJA Forum User
I have a clunk coming from the front driver side, feels kind of like it is coming from right under my feet. Anly at speeds up to about 13 mph.

I took it to a shop today and the guy told me that the upper ballbearing is shot(installed it last year), that the steering dampener is shot(also new), trackbar bushings are shot(also new) and that the wheel bearing is shot(21 years old (; ) He said he could grease everything up, but that it would just be a temperary fix.

How often should those parts be greased?

Yesterday I inspected it myself and all I found that was weird, is that the rear lower comtroll arm bushing is not snugg in the hole - if that makes any sence. I could see a little bit of space on the underside, it was easy to spot because of the snow on the ground. I think maybe that is the problem because that sits pretty much where I have my feet, but I was not able to move it at all. I tryed pulling on it and kicking it, but it didnt move. I realize that the car hitting a bump produces a little more pressure on things than my size 10.

The only part that I found to make some kind of knock under the front was from the steering box, i grabbed the pitman arm and shook it. That make a little clunk I thought might be because the box was loose. So I grabbed the box and shook it, it was solid. The noise came from the part that goes into the box, whatever it is called. But to me it doesnt sound like it was loose enough to ''send'' the clunk into the frame and down to my feet. Although it might explain the clunk occuring when I turn the wheel back and forth quickly at low speed.

What do you guys think?

I think the mechanic has a boat payment due, and he thinks the payment is in your wallet.

Any of those parts might be the source of a clunk, you either have to figure it out yourself, or find and honest shop that will correctly diagnose and repair the problem. Greaseable parts should greased every oil change.

Check your sway bar bushings - Had one that completely got worn and fell out causing a clunking noise every time the sway bar hit the frame rail

Also sounds like it might be a u-joint on your axle shaft - grab that u-joint where the shaft goes into your wheel hub and give it a wiggle and it should have no play

Wouldn't hurt to also do this test on the u-joints for your front and rear drivelines

All the bushings look good, I can't find any play. They have only been on there for a year. I really hope they are designed to last longer than that.

All the u-joints are new as well.

The only thing I can see that looks like it would clunk is the lower control arm, where the bushing is not tight(small gap at the bottom). But if I damaged it when I installed it, I used a press and it sat snug, wouldn't it have clunked from the moment I started driving? (December 2012)

I don't understand why it only clunks at low speeds? Before I changed out everything out ,I had the death wobble, and it would clunk at highway speeds as well.

Sounds like the track bar is starting to get loose. Have someone sit the xj and turn the wheel sharply back and forth while you look at the suspension components. Bet cha the track bar moves at the frame connection.

I'll take a stab at it. If you have many new parts that were installed recently and just started developing a clunk, go back through and check torque on everything that was recently worked on.

I did motor mounts, tranny mounts, engine mounts, and subframe mounts on my wife's Passat this summer and had this awful popping noise show up when taking a left turn (nearly 8 months later). After going through retorquing everything I could think of, it turns out the right motor mount was coming loose and the right axle was going bad. The loose motor mount was amplifying any sounds from the failing axle.

Start with retorquing. Maybe get a long prybar inbetween parts and see if you can get something to move in your steering or suspension arms.

So I went under there again to check on things and I noticed that the steering stabilizer top nut was not tightened down. I suspect this is the cause of the clunk. I can move it up and down a bit, but I cant get the nut tightened up. I just end up twisting the whole assembly a little. Am I supposed to be able to twist the steering components like that?
I will try and remove the whole shock to see if i can put it in a wice to tighten the top nut.

So I went under there again to check on things and I noticed that the steering stabilizer top nut was not tightened down. I suspect this is the cause of the clunk. I can move it up and down a bit, but I cant get the nut tightened up. I just end up twisting the whole assembly a little. Am I supposed to be able to twist the steering components like that?
I will try and remove the whole shock to see if i can put it in a wice to tighten the top nut.

Take the stabilizer off of and drive the vehicle without it.
You can also park against a curb and have someone turn the wheel against it while you look at front end. Then have them jump up and down on the bumper to cycle the suspension.

Back