• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shafts

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj hp D30 front 8.25 rear.

I wheel conservatively but I'm always worried about the d30. What can it withstand?

Currently I'm on RE 3.5 with 32's 3.73 gears, trac lok rear, Np242. I dont goose obstacles and I play my lines safe, but opt for the challenge. I think its a smart move to upgrade to alloy shafts, however does this mean I'm sending the break point to the ring and pinion.

Also, say a HP D30 drive shaft is broken. How difficult is removal and what does the process involve.

32" tires aren't going to put a ton of stress on anything on the front axle.

I've seen people beat the piss out of Dana 30s open diff on 33s and never have an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33's are not a death sentence for the D30, but stuff happens. I would carry spare axle shafts and not worry about it. If you do not know how to change the axle shafts or the driveshaft, do some research. You do not want to have to learn how while out on the trails.

I have 31's and carry spare axle shafts and a spare driveshaft. I have never needed them, but I also never have to worry about them.

thanks for the comments. I dont have lockers so every now and again i get areas that ill just spin out so the axles are always on my mind. Im glad to know 32's 33's should withstand civil offroading.

I beat my D30 on 37" MT/R's and heavy MRW beadlocks for a season, mostly at the Badlands. Open diff. Never had any issues. I have since gone to a HP44 with chromo shafts though. The 30 is a pretty tough little axle. You should be fine. Also agree with the other statements, do a little looking around here and just do some dry runs at home, it's not too bad.

I should clarify that ive removed my rear axles before and I know the mechanics of removing the front axles, but in the event that one snaps am i removing bearings to fish the last half out or how is the removal from the outter axle end?

I've never really seen an axle snap inside the housing. I've really only seen the u-joint area explode. That is a pretty easy removal by just pulling the brakes and undoing the 3 bolts that hold the shaft assembly to the knuckles. No reason to get "inside" the axle at all.

I've seen many explode inside the tube. Most times, a magnet on a stick will pull the extra shaft out. In worse cases I've seen the other side axle shaft have to be pulled and push on the broken shaft from the other side.

I've seen many explode inside the tube. Most times, a magnet on a stick will pull the extra shaft out. In worse cases I've seen the other side axle shaft have to be pulled and push on the broken shaft from the other side.

This happened to me but it is rare. I had to pull the diff cover and cross pin, and push the broken piece of shaft out of the carrier with the radio antenna. The shaft broke in the carrier. It also broke the carrier though. Again, that is rare. I carry a 15lbs extending magnet now for just that reason.

in my experience, 95% of failures has been the ujoint or ears breaking. i broke at least a dozen ujoints or ears while on 33s and 35s. never had the shaft itself break.

dana 30s can be made to last. an artec truss and good diff cover really helps out. i was snapping ujoints almost every trip (297 size and locker). went with the artec truss, ruffstuff cover, and chromo shafts and ran problem free for an entire year. i did, however, strip a few ring gear teeth on my last trip with the 30 on a 4.10 gear set.

Back