• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shaft to rear?

apaz321

NAXJA Forum User
If i install an SYE will a front drive shaft work on the rear on my 99 xj after installing a RE 5.5 long arm?? heard it works but would like to hear it from the pro's here on naxja haha

There are 2 lenght driveshafts put in the front of the XJ. The driveshaft that is connected to a 231 t-case is different then the one connected to a 242 t-case. I can't remember which one is shorter but I do know that one of them will work. I'm running a 6" lift with SYE and have a front driveshaft out back that I got at the pick-a-part. You need to take some measurements to figure out what length you need and then go look at the 2 kinds and go from there. I will be heading to the pick-a-part this week to get another spare driveshaft and I will keep an eye out for one for you. I will also figure out which is the longer option.

There are 2 lenght driveshafts put in the front of the XJ. The driveshaft that is connected to a 231 t-case is different then the one connected to a 242 t-case. I can't remember which one is shorter but I do know that one of them will work. I'm running a 6" lift with SYE and have a front driveshaft out back that I got at the pick-a-part. You need to take some measurements to figure out what length you need and then go look at the 2 kinds and go from there. I will be heading to the pick-a-part this week to get another spare driveshaft and I will keep an eye out for one for you. I will also figure out which is the longer option.
231 shaft is shorter then 242 shaft

bhicks that would be awesome! let me know keep me posted on the drive shaft if you find one. how much do they go for at pick a part?

bhicks that would be awesome! let me know keep me posted on the drive shaft if you find one. how much do they go for at pick a part?

It seems to change every time I go. The last one I picked up was $25 but that was on a 1/2 off day then I bought another for $40 on a regular day. Someone on this site said they paid $60 at that same location. I'm not sure the reason for the fluctuation but the cost is somewhere in the $25-60 range. They often do 1/2 off on rainy days so I'm heading down this week in the rain and crossing my fingers on 1/2 off. PM me your cell number. If I find one I will call you to see if you want me to grab it for you.

Front drivelines have really small and wimpy splines. Using them to get off the trail is 'ok' but DD or extended use is not advised.

Rear specific drivelines usually have larger more significant splines that are far more up to the task of taking rear driveline abuse on and off road.

I have access to rear drivelines made for your needs at a decent price if you need me to get one for you.

all i want to do really is use it for a while till i get enough money to get one from tom woods. I ordered the sye from AA and they sent it to me now after i get it installed they are sending me a TW drive shaft once i get the measurements, lift and sye are installed. so i would not mind running that front at all because then eventually it will be a spare stored in the jeep or garage.
Thanks for the info and the heads up though

Front drivelines have really small and wimpy splines. Using them to get off the trail is 'ok' but DD or extended use is not advised.

Rear specific drivelines usually have larger more significant splines that are far more up to the task of taking rear driveline abuse on and off road.

I have access to rear drivelines made for your needs at a decent price if you need me to get one for you.

I wouldn't fully agree with that. I run 35's and have run most trails in JV, the Rubicon, Moab, and numerous other difficult trails with stock front driveshafts out back with little issues. I have bent a few on rocks but never snapped one. It's also nice to be able to hit the junkyard for a spare or replacement for cheap.

I wouldn't fully agree with that. I run 35's and have run most trails in JV, the Rubicon, Moab, and numerous other difficult trails with stock front driveshafts out back with little issues. I have bent a few on rocks but never snapped one. It's also nice to be able to hit the junkyard for a spare or replacement for cheap.

Maybe you don't wheel as hard as cracker does. Most of the trails in JV? There are like 50, I hope you have a big stack of those front drivelines handy. :)

I would never trust a front driveline in the rear either. I've been known to use the throttle here and there, and need to have absolute faith in my driveline.

Back