• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front D44 from SJ - repositioning diff housing

very tempting offer, without the pond in between I would gladly visit Southern California Wine Country ;)
But for now it will be easier for me to find proper D44 with drivers drop on your side. Research is ongoing.

Ok, mabye I'm dumb ( ok, maybe not maybe) but why can't you just cut a piece out of both tubes and swap the longer piece to the passenger side. Internally sleeve them, weld them up and truss it while you're at it. Then just swap the axle shafts side to side and viola, driver side drop.

John, i think it would actually be very simple to do just that. i have thrown that idea around quite a bit as there are alot of inexpensive axle assemblies on the market that can be converted to fit. the only concern i would have is the used axle shafts. (and its not a huge concern) but some axle shafts that were used in one direction, dont like the torsional force when used in the opposite direction. i am not saying that these axles have that torsional memory, but some do. however, i still would have no problem cutting, swapping, and sleeving the axle tubes. in most cases you would probably end up with a straighter, and stronger axle assembly. most people dont realize how much a stock axle housing flexes and distorts through out its lifespan. i would be willing to bet there are more slightly bent axles on all our off roaded xjs, than there are perfectly straight ones.

there is always some wise ass that brings this up. ive seen it on paper... but have YET to see a factory installed front 44.

ive seen pictures of what appears to be a dana30 with a 44 center section. thats all it is really.

they appear factory.

i can;t go back in time and watch the xj's roll out of the assembly line to be 100% sure they existed like that, but i believe it

there is always some wise ass that brings this up. ive seen it on paper... but have YET to see a factory installed front 44.

Do some more research,theres been quite a few posted(w/ pics btw) here over the years!
You can also buy Rubi axles complete or just the housing and use all your own parts(less the gears of course).

very tempting offer, without the pond in between I would gladly visit Southern California Wine Country ;)
But for now it will be easier for me to find proper D44 with drivers drop on your side. Research is ongoing.

If you ever make it here you gotta come visit.I live in the heart of southern california wine country.

Back