• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front bumper bolts

USAFXJ

NAXJA Forum User
got my new bumper from jcr offroad however it did not come with bolts, they siad just use the stock bolts, however I dont have them either. Does anyone here know what size I should look for if I try to get the bolts from home depot, lowes, or tractor supply?​

Are you sure the front bumper bolts aren't any bigger than a 10mm?? The ones holding mine on are HUUUGE, but mine is an aftermarket bumper as well. Does the JCR bumper come with unibody tie ins on it? I would use the biggest, and highest grade bolts you can fit in there. Especially if you intend to use the front bumper as a recovery point. It wouldn't hurt to give JCR a call, and see what they recommend.

dont use grade 8 bolts in a bumper theres no bend they just sheer off if you put the right force to them the grade 5 bolts will bend before they brake. 10 mmis the size if the bolts not the head lol mine were 10mm in both frt and rear bumpers. i think x2elite is right about calling JRC and asking them!

10 mmis the size if the bolts not the head lol mine were 10mm in both frt and rear bumpers.

That makes more sense.... I was still kind of out of it when I replied to that. LOL

ok so there stronger i never said there not but i know what i use and what i dont :passgas:and i still say ask whoever you buy your bumper from :yelclap: i also still say the grade 5 will bend in a bumper BEFORE they brake i had grade 8 bolts in a bumper and had them brake were the grade 5 didnt they bent so do what you feel like doing

Last edited:
so grade 5 3/8 bolts and nuts. hopefully i can find those around the hardware stores or tractor supply

ok, will do

ok so there stronger i never said there not but i know what i use and what i dont :passgas:and i still say ask whoever you buy your bumper from :yelclap: i also still say the grade 5 will bend in a bumper BEFORE they brake i had grade 8 bolts in a bumper and had them brake were the grade 5 didnt they bent so do what you feel like doing

Did you even read the articles? That exact myth is explained in both of them. Under the same loading conditions BOTH grade 5 and grade 8 bolts will bend before they break.

What were you doing that you broke the bolts in your bumper once and then almost broke them again?:eek:

Don't get me wrong, I don't know anything about your application and I'm not saying grade 5 won't work. Just saying that the theory you are basing your selection on is not correct.

so grade 5 3/8 bolts and nuts. hopefully i can find those around the hardware stores or tractor supply

Hardware stores will have grade 5 and grade 8 bolts as well. I prefer Lowes...they seem to have a better selection of bolts/fasteners than Home Depot or McCoys. Last time I was at Lowes they had grade 5 3/8" bolts up to 4" long.

what about tractor supply or atwoods?

I've never really looked close at TSC's bolt inventory...though from what I remember it seemed pretty decent. Just make sure you're not getting grade 2 or "hardware grade" fasteners.

TSC by far has the best bolt selection out of the mentioned stores. They have what you are looking for as thats where I got mine but I dont remember the size.

Did you even read the articles? That exact myth is explained in both of them. Under the same loading conditions BOTH grade 5 and grade 8 bolts will bend before they break.

What were you doing that you broke the bolts in your bumper once and then almost broke them again?:eek:

Don't get me wrong, I don't know anything about your application and I'm not saying grade 5 won't work. Just saying that the theory you are basing your selection on is not correct.
i got stuck and had to be snatch out in 1/2 ton chevy very heavy truck the truck that pulled me out was a 3/4 ton ford it pulled my bumper off one side of the frame the grade 8 bolts snaped :doh:. in conroe the best place to get bolts is napa ive never tryed TS and are lowes and home depot bolt department suck lol

Around here we have a fastenal store..... they have any kind of fastener you can imagine.

these is the sizes JCRoffroad gave me to find.

Bolts: (4) 7/16" x 1.5" bolts, and nuts (8) washers
(2) 10mm x 1.50 thread pitch x 25mm length (2) washers

Around here we have a fastenal store..... they have any kind of fastener you can imagine.

I think there is one here in Greenville.

Back