• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle shift fork????

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok was working on the front shaft hitting the tunnel on the 84 XJ yesterday and thought I had her ready for some wheeling. Was testing it in the sand next to the shop and noticed the front axle was not pulling. So I determined the front disconnect was not working. Pulled the disconnect to find the shift fork broke :shocked:! Replaced it with my spare and went to test it again. Worked fine In 4WD but when I shifted into Low it stopped imediatly! First will a bent axle causse them to brake and how do I tell if it's broke. Second, will the DS hitting the tunnel cause a shock to the front and break it? Third is there a steel replacement? TIA! 94 Drivetrain in an 84!

Cast iron fork part numbers:
Dana #41553 or Mopar #4137727

Fork clips/wear pads part numbers:
Dana #621059 or Mopar #4137731

What's breaking? (the fork or where it fits on the actuator shaft) -

The fork can 'float' a considerable amount (up and down" and the disconnect collar can slide in and out of the fork a LONG way before stuff starts breaking in there... Most of what I see looks to be from thrust - like the splines are thrusting the collar towards disconnection under load - usually a worn collar or twisted/worn splines...

I´ve never had one break, but I have had them engauge with a load bang and on occasion, pop back out of engauge. I found a vacume leak, that seemed to help, the next time I tried to engauge the axle. Also sprayed some oil, into the vacume nipples, into the insides of the actuator, seemed to also help. Seemed the more I used the disconnect the better it worked.

The shift fork broke at the base of the fork. Not the fork itself but about 1/4-1/2" from where it mounts on the vacume motor. My thought about the axle is b/c my front tires are leaning in at the top way too much. Do you think the iron fork would hold up better? I did nto see any spline damage but when I pull this one I'll look. What about welding some angle to hold the color in place but that will not interfear with the shafts?

I have broke two so far and now I just used a hose clamp on the vaccume accuator to hold it in place till I weld the front and go to cable accuated. Mine broke in the same place yours did. Cast Iron is the way I am gonna go when I do the cable system. DIG IT!

Back