• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle build questions

moparman96

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 4.0 classic that needs a new front axle. The inner c's are severely bent causing horrible camber issues. I have another dana 30 that was originally in it laying around that is straight. My question is should I build that or start completely over and go for a bigger stronger axle. Any input would be helpful I am really in the air about this.

Keep in mind that I was going to reuse the 4.10 gears and aussie locker from the old axle. I also have a master install kit for the dana 30 laying around as well. If I build the 30 I plan to sleeve it with this kit to help with the build.
http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Jeep-TJ-LJ-XJ-ZJ-Front-Axle-Assurance-Kit-p-30950.html

If I decide to go with the new bigger junkyard axle, aka whatever viable axle within the price range I can find. The main downfall for this option is not having parts already for which ever axle I purchase.

I will post pics of what I have later, as I have a feeling this is going to lead to a build thread.

thanks for any knowledge you guys are willing to bestow on to me.

Stock 2000 Xj front D30 is LP. Is your spare/donor D30 the same? If not, the gears will be different. The locker and carrier will be plug n pray for the new axle, whether its HP/LP.

Depends on the abuse you plan to give it.

Both axles are low pinion unfortunately. Most of the abuse it will see is driving duties. I rock crawl with it when I get to, but I don't beat on it on the trail I just crawl lol.

I would stick with the d30 since it's not getting too much abuse. What size tires are you running?

I think at this point there are two important questions you need to ask yourself:

What are your goals for the rig, and what is your budget? If we know the answers to these questions it will make it easier to provide advice. :)

Back