• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front and Rear Gear Oil Type

2000XJSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been talked about many times and I have been reading over all the search results. I really can't decided between regular or synthetic gear oil for my Dana 30 181 and Chrysler 8.25. I was looking at Valvoline and could not decide between the two 80W-90 gear oils. (Below) Will the synthetic one work and is it better? I do not have a trac-loc so additive will not be needed. I also have a the factory hitch, but I do not use it a lot. Any input to help my decision would be great.

Thanks

High Performance Gear Oil
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=114

Synthetic Blend Gear Oil
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=2

Synthetic, all the way, every time every place. Far outperforms regular gear oil, trans fluid, engine oil - everything.
You can go back and forth between regular and synthetic safely.
Synthetics withstand much greater heat without breaking down - this means that the high-heat situations in off-roading or towing or whatnot won't harm your XJ's vital bits.
Synthetic is better.

The only place I've heard that synthetic is bad is in the AW4, with multiple reports of the tranny slipping using synthetic. In the AX manual tranny, go redline synthetic which doesn't have sulfurs (eats those nice brass synchros). Personally, I don't think it's worth the extra cost in the differentials.

it depends on what you do. if you do alot of mud/water offroading, then go with cheap gear oil because you should check/replace it after any mud/water wheeling.

if you don't get into mud/water situations very often, then i would recommend synthetic since you won't be changing it as much, so then you can benefit from the better quality of the synthetic. personally i run synthetic in EVERYTHING.

Back