• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fresh Meat

What the heck happened?
Just pulled the factory fuel filter, spilled about an ounce of gas ... no obvious source of ignition, but the spill caught fire, found vapor off the line to the tank ... happened so fast I couldn't get the fire bottle standing aft of the factory spare tire location. That was with the liftgate already open. You can see the extinguisher still standing there in the picture with the head blown-off. Had at least 10-gallons of gasoline in the tank. She suffered through roughly 1.5 million BTU of heat energy in my conservative guestimation.

High vapor pressure and cosmic rays ... ? I dunno. I'm calling it a freak accident, trying not to spend a lot of time thinking about it, and don't want to hijack the ZJ thread with it. lol There will probably be a life and times thread for her soon. :angel:
Moral of the story; clamp the fuel feed shut when you open the line. Stuff happens, 'nuff said.

Flexin the Discovery Pass at Capitol Forest
2012-08-26144751.jpg

2012-08-26144927.jpg

2012-08-26144828.jpg

2012-08-26145157.jpg

2012-08-26141058.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced the front hubs with fresh (pun intended) "units" provided by the previous owner. Seems to have remedied an occasional "nibble" in the steering on the freeway. Turns-in a little quick .. under-steers a bit .. drives like a dream otherwise. Some fresh shocks and swaybar bushings should fix it right up.
2012-09-05181627.jpg

I'm gonna toss the original plan for a long-arm lift, do a budget boost instead and keep it as a daily driver ... 1-3/4" spacers, good shocks, and "some tires".

Replaced the intake manifold gaskets and fixed a few vacuum lines.
TempImage1349326097669.jpg

TempImage1349326104899.jpg

Runs sweet .. 19.2 mpg freeway

Ordered a 3.5" lift for a stack of used 32" tires I found. Plotting phase-ii engine performance upgrades like a new air intake, exhaust system, and ecu.

wouldnt happen to need a rear JKS adjustable track bar? or IRO rear swaybar end links?

LOL....Cant help but think of the music playing right before the shark attack in JAWS.
"nuh,nunt.......... nuh,nunt...........nuh,nunt......nuh,nunt.....nuh,nunt.....nuh,nunt,nuh,nunt,nuh,nunt
BEHNANAAAAAAA!!!!!"

The big fish swam silently through the dark water with long sweeps of it's crescent tail ...

Back