• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freezing your toes this winter

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
T Bent said:
The thought of freezing my toes and parts North is out of the question .

A good point was made and both myself and couple others are already bent on a snow run :D. I know it's a ways out... but planning it out or talking about it might let us get ready for it :D

Anyways, couple questions.... where do you guys go in winter to run here??? Is John Bull or anything in the area (Dishpan Springs, Holocomb Creek and so on) is reasonable?? and what supplies do you bring? I think a shovel would definately make sense, along with chains (tire) and maybe second change of warm clothing and some "survival" type supplies in case being stranded is an option :)

So...... Tim... will you join this run? :) after all, you are from the colder part of SoCal!

Snow run

Only run I have been on are in the Los Padres Forest around Gorman. Mostly short forest service type roads, no hidden boulders, with excellent scenery and fairly deep snow. I myself am watching the weather and waiting for the white peaks.

I have been looking forward to a snow for about a month now...

I was thinking about going to Big Bear, but was only planning on running the back service roads to the white mountain trail...

I never really wanted to deal with big rocks buried under snow so I hadn't thought of running Bull...

I might consider Deep Creek, but I can think of a few areas that are off camber that might look wicked when wet and covered in ice and snow...

I figure the back roads will be rough enough with a few feet of unplowed snow on them to give a fum day in the cold stuff...

I plan on wearing my snow boarding gear when I go... Its all water proof and comfortable... I have a few pairs of gloves and of course I will bring chains...

Ken

I love a snow run, and will do my best to get out a time or two this winter.......even though my weekends are filling up fast. I missed snow runs each of the last two winters due to rebuild projects....axles one year and rollover repair the next...so I'm ready.

We go on Piute Mtn Rd, east of Caliente and south of Lake Isabella, and it is a very fun snow trip. We always seem to hit it without tracks, since we go further than anyone else will, and it tops out around 8000'.

Remi, that little trail that I ended us up on a while back could be fun. There are several "smaller" roads in the area that can be alot of fun with enough snow. I'll have to look up the #'s. Mark pointed one of them out a couple of runs ago also. I went up a couple of times last season with Ethan and had a blast and still kept it mild enough to get out by ourselves. We went all by our idiot selves. Since we went alone we brought a few extra things that you would'nt need with a group.

For the cold I prefer dressing in layers. Cotton or silk long underware, top & bottom. Gortex boots and wool socks. Sweater, thong, wind breaker, knit cap, thin and heavy gloves. Extra socks and a heavy jacket just in case.

A larger shovel with a longer handle than the fold up GI version that I normally carry is faster and warmer.

I also like to carry candles and water proof matches on the off chance that I might be sleeping in the Jeep:( We could ask the guy's in the No. Atlantic chapter what gear they would recomend, but I think I'll hang on to a little bit of my frostbitten sunny so. cal. pride!:D They might poke fun at us.;)

fros T Bent

edit: The hardest part of a snow run is keeping u-turns a secret!:cool:

Last edited:
T Bent said:
edit: The hardest part of a snow run is keeping u-turns a secret!:cool:

Tim... since it's your backyard and you just said that you got a trail in mind plus we've been there before... you're leading and well..... the truth about who does (starts/initiates) all the uturns will finally COME OUT! :) LOL LOL

A SNOW RUN??? Move to the Chicago area....we get snow without having to travel. You want a challange? Travel I-55 to 355 Plainfield to Elmhurst after a big snow, heck....for that matter try to get outta my subdivision.

Rev

The back roads into/around Chester and Lake Almanor make excellent winter runs. The scenery in winter is astounding.

Jump This said:
hey...who left the door open?? You know Rev Dan is going to tell all his frozen buddies about us LOOKING FORWARD to a snow run!

well cause is just jelaous that after freezing our toes off, we drive 2hrs to warm beaches inhabitted by skimpily dressed women :D

Rev Den said:
A SNOW RUN??? Move to the Chicago area....we get snow without having to travel. You want a challange? Travel I-55 to 355 Plainfield to Elmhurst after a big snow, heck....for that matter try to get outta my subdivision.

Rev

See Den, the difference is:

We like snow. We love snow. It's great fun to visit. We prefer not to deal with it when half asleep, running late to work, getting out of the driveway.

:D

Sequoia

Kejtar said:
well cause is just jelaous that after freezing our toes off, we drive 2hrs to warm beaches inhabitted by skimpily dressed women :D

Maybe.....but, I can drive less than an hour and see.........Beezil!!

Your right...I am jelaous.

Rev

I hope it snows this year. All this planning could just be trying to hatch hard boiled eggs!:rolleyes:

Mt. High open

Kejtar said:
It better snow... I gotta get some skiing time in!

I heard a rumor Wrightwood is already open. Not the whole mountain but it is an early start to the season.

Its snowing pertty good in Wrightwood according to the news.

I just got back from snowboarding yesterday (Monday) at big Bear. There is one run open to the very top. It was a lot of fun. But I have been waiting forever for bear to finally open. The rest of Big bear is snowless when I went there.

Back