• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Beef-TNT or Detours.

AIght Thanks, just checkin.

Can't wait to get mine in.

I have Detours, they are a full boxed square-tube attached to front and rear spring perch, then plug welded to unibody. It is like adding a frame, not just a stiffner. And, then mine came with rock rail sliders as part o the unit, so stiffner and rails are all tied together.

steveareno said:
I have Detours, they are a full boxed square-tube attached to front and rear spring perch, then plug welded to unibody. It is like adding a frame, not just a stiffner. And, then mine came with rock rail sliders as part o the unit, so stiffner and rails are all tied together.

Thats a $445 kit, Personally I'd just spend $170 on tnt, drill holes, plug weld myself, and make rails for $100 or so.

I don't really see the advantages of the detours kit to be worth the extra $120 just for the stiffeners

Obviously it's going to be cheaper if you have the time, tools, and skill to fabricate something. The Detours stiffeners/sliders seemed like a nice integrated solution to me without having to worry about what fits with what (and they're local for me). So that's what I went with and they work great so far. No complaints or second thoughts.

JonnyK said:
Obviously it's going to be cheaper if you have the time, tools, and skill to fabricate something. The Detours stiffeners/sliders seemed like a nice integrated solution to me without having to worry about what fits with what (and they're local for me). So that's what I went with and they work great so far. No complaints or second thoughts.

now....do they prevent you from smashing the bottom of your framerails in? i've had that problem

Thanks for the discussion guys, and the pictures Randy.

keep them coming! I'd like to see pics of the Detour(other than on site)

I have the Currie stiffeners, they work well but do not protect the frame. I have other Detours products and I would buy their stiffeners with out blinking.

IntrepidXJ said:
now....do they prevent you from smashing the bottom of your framerails in? i've had that problem
Stop driving into the rocks:laugh3:

I have the TnT plates. I didnt have time to drill and plug weld them when I installed them.

Hopefully I will be able to drill them while they are on and plug weld them that way.

If people get them, make sure to plug weld them. You'll hate yourself if you dont later.

mikeNtucson said:
I was going to get a set, but I was told by fab shop that they are best for sand dune, that the body of the xj is designed to flex. That he had done 2 jeeps and both developed a crack in trans tunel. One had a crack 14" starting at hole for shifter going back.

Interesting conclusion.......perhaps I would agree with this if they could prove that the cracks were not present prior to the installation and that prior flexing of the rig had not already started the cracking process.

I have also seen XJ's with NO uni-rail beefing develop stress fractures in the roofline and door pillars, as well as the uni-rail area around the steering box and spring hangers. I flex my XJ up quite a bit when running sand dunes, so to claim that TnT Stiffeners are for sand runners and cause unibody cracks, without conclusive evidence is not fact, but opinion.

Question: If I were to use my XJ to haul beets, would the addition of TnT Stiffeners increase the beet hauling capacity of my rig?

Any body hear of a 97 up cracking? They are suposed to be modified for crash worthiness but that may be just side impact door beams and air bags.
They were made in a whole different factory using diferent robots and I wonder what else may have changed in the body making them better or worse.

Back