• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found this in the garage. WHAT IS IT?

Thanks everybody for your feedback. I'm glad that I was correct in assuming that it was a welder. As far as actually trying to use it, I'm going to get a friend to come over that is a professional welder and see what he thinks about it. There are hundreds of rods in the shop, as well as a helmet, gloves, etc, so that's kind of what led me to believe that it had to have been a welder.

My great uncle passed away in the late 80s and the shop hasn't been touched since then. I have found all sorts of treasures in there, but this was the only thing that I wasn't sure about. It's been kind of fun going through it all and kind of a pain to throw away most of it... cause honestly it is mostly just junk. He did grow up in the great depression and as you know, they don't throw anything out. The shop has been a great place to work on my jeep so far this past winter. The best part about it is the wood burning stove. Some of the stuff in there is pretty ingenious, and he used old food cans and paint cans to organize the stuff.

Anyways, if I ever get the welder tested out, I'll post back and give an update. I don't see it happening anytime soon however. Not really a big priority.

i think its a pretty ingenious old piece of equipment, however i wouldnt try it. i dont know near enough about that type of stuff.

i would try to contact some sort a museum that deals with the great depression, or american ingenuity, see if it would work.

Yeah, that welder belongs in a museum not the scrap yard! And yes, the rids where the one cable is attached changes the current at the electrode. Lower current should be to the laft when facing it and higher current to the right. The thing is running enough current though to kill you at any of it's settings. Thats a heck of a find though!

How much shipped to 50247? seriously, if you want to sell it, send me a PM, I would love to get my hands on that thing. I have a homemade mig welder now that uses a similar transformer, but that one looks even beefier!! I'm a firm believer in build it before you buy it, just becareful when you do. So far i have built my shop air compressor, mig welder, battery charger, electric over hydraulic remote control cherry picker, and next on the list is a plasma cutter. Don't be afraid of it because it's not a factory built piece, just give it the respect that all electrical equipment demands and you will be fine. HOWEVER, if you die, please leave a note for the relatives to ship it my way......:laugh3:

Bring it over. I would not have any problem using that. Yeah it looks a little scary, but I would put a new handle on the electrode and use it. It is basically like an old Lincoln stick welder that you had to move the wires to change the voltage. Hell a brand new TIG will shock the S!#t out of you if you touch the eletrode and that happens all the time without anyone dying. I not saying that it would be the best tool to use but it would work fine in a bind. I would not consider myself a Jeeper without trying something adventurous every now and then. Way cool find!

How again did your grandpa die lemme guess it had something to do with an old ass welder someone made. Its gonna fold like a Taco you wont even need to plug that thing in it will kill you in your sleep. Sell it to a museum for the oldest welder still in existence

you sure are an idiot. where has darwin been your whole life?...:explosion

nominated

yah, as a welder i wouldnt step anywhere near that deathtrap. that is unless you wanted to die:angel:

add to that the thing could catch fire while it is frying you, burn the house down and you to a crisp so there would be very little chance of having an open casket.

Literally
a%3E
url%5D
:laugh::laugh::laugh: right now....tears I say...tears...

...I would not consider myself a Jeeper without trying something adventurous every now and then...

I consider myself a Jeeper because I do adventurous things in my Jeep...not because I play with old scary looking equipment that could be used as a torture device.

Playing with that = death sentance :explosion

I enjoy some of the rude comments posted on this thread. It is as stated a welder, to change the voltage, you change which lug is used. It's not very complicated, and would be safe in the right hands, no telling how many items were repaired with it. As for the Darwin comment, sir, just because it doesn't have a store bought cover does not make it some horrid death trap. If you do not understand, sometimes it's better to not make comments. Being rude to someone you do not know can lead to issues. If you do not know what it is, you should not use it. I would check the leads and use it. As stated try to take it to a museum, it is an amazing piece of American engineering. The man that made it seems to have a good grasp of what is useful. That, and the comments made about it will tell you a lot about what is wrong with our nation. It didn't come from the store, oh my don't use it!!! At one time in history people didn't run out to make payments, they built what they needed. Now, if you can't buy it in three colors, with switches and knobs it must be dangerous.

Woah...lighten up man. It's funny...laugh. I know reading some of these comments made me laugh. I mean look at that thing....

dont trip its not worth my time to argue with them, besides i dont beleive in darwin, god, buddah or any other mythalogical person out there, so its no good to throw that mess to me.

And now time for a small history lesson for the uneducated few (No offense maxx) as Wolfpackjeeper said, Darwin was a real person who first proposed the "Theory of Evolution" better known as "survival of the fittest." In other words the stronger genes survive the longest. The Darwin award is an unofficial award given to those who have died or seriously injured themselves doing something incredibly stupid eg. the man who replaced a blown headlight fuse with a .22 round, causing the round to heat up to its ignition point, firing and lodging itself into his left testicle. Or the man who climbed to the top of an electrical tower with a case of beer urinated on the high tension line and was found the next morning laying on the ground 10-20ft from the tower with his crotch still smoking.

Of course that being said i cant really say that trying it would be completely stupid esp if you know electricity and welding equipment heck I'd probably try it myself using electricians gloves and after re insulating and replacing all necessary parts.

That is definately cool. Find a museum that handles old farm equipment. I bet they would at least give you a heck of a donation receipt.

That thing a classic.

Back