• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found strange balls in radiator

AK47NA

NAXJA Forum User
I found these small, dark brown, soft and mushy balls in my radiator when I did a fluid check yesterday. I'm in Lithuania about 1,500 miles from home and only halfway to North Cape, Norway on this road trip.

I installed a new radiator last February 2021 and haven't driven the xj much due to some additional maintenance. I suspect that there were some styrofoam packing material left in the new radiator when I installed it. I didn't flush the thing, just blew some compressed air in it.

If these are indeed small pieces of styrofoam in my radiator, how likely is it to cause a catastrophic overheating due to clogged passages? I've driven 1,500 miles already and my temp gauge stays at around 195F. Not that it matters to the coolant, but my oil pressure stays around 60 psi at 65 mph.

If these little things are some sort of insect eggs that got trapped during packaging at the factory, then that's not too much of a problem.

What else could it be, and should I worry too much?

Thanks for your opinions.
1994 xj, 2.5l, ax5, 4x4, new radiator, 208,580 miles odometer

Just pointing out you have a double post. Perhaps the Mods will merge if you request it.

Thanks, Saudade. I wasn't sure what to do.

If a moderator is watching, can you please remove this second post? All the discussions are in the other one. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Back