• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found a 96 BMW 328i.. opinions?

Jeep914x4

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking to retire the old XJ from DD duties and purchase a car to drive to work every day. I drive about 60 miles a day and need something that will get 30 mpg or better. My jeep has 200K, when I bought it it only had 82k. I have done all maintenance to the jeep with the exception of rebuilding the rear end when it gave out. I have rebuilt the transfercase, changed ball joints, TRE's, U joints, rear main seal, etc. I would want to work on the DD car if I could.

So, I found a 96 328i with 110K. The car has been taken good care of and looks great. It has fairly new BMW rims, newish tires, a stereo system. They are asking 9k for the car.

Anyone have any experience with these cars? Are they expensive to maintain? Easy to work on? Should I stear clear because of the mileage? About what MPG should I expect?

Thanks for any info.

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that you aren't going to get 30 mpg with that car. German cars are expensive to repair and the parts are outrageous. BMW and cheap to maintain don't belong in the same sentence.

Get a Honda or Toyota..my vote is for a Honda accord.

Edit: Take a look at DTMpower.net in the E36 forum (E36 is that body style). They've got the same FAQ type sections that NAXJA and JU have.

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=138

Last edited:
does the car have a service history? If not, the price is about $1800-2000 too high.

Things to look for: has the water pump been replaced? The E36s had stock water pumps with plastic impellers. Impellers would disintegrate and get clogged up in the block causing problems. Radiators might need to be replaced.

I had a 95 E36 M3. Loved, and I mean LOVED, that car. had a bunch of go fast goodies. Best handling sport sedan chassis ever made and I have driven a LOT of jap cheapo (honda, toy) jap luxo, german, swedish, italian and english :)barf:) cars to compare. Lost the TPS, $45 part (buy online for these parts) and 5 minutes to replace. the BMW I6 engine is perhaps the best I6 engine ever made. Been making it for 30+ years. Easy to work on. Yes parts are a little expensive, but for the most part it's all straight forward. Look for worn suspension bushings. Take the whole rig to have someone check it out prior to buying. Again, a detailed service record makes all the difference in value on the vehicle.

oh, and 30MPG is very attainable on the HWY with the 328. Expect 22-24 around town. There is even the idiot needle gauige to make you keep you foot out of it.

my buddys 323 5 speed with the six is annoying to drive. handles well but accel sucks, it feels like you are driving in sand when the foot actually goes to the floor, im much happier driving my mom's six cylinder turbo supra, once i get a properly torqued head gasket in it, it has the handling but once the boost kicks in it will take off even in 5th gear

Beej said:
Were you actually in The Fast and The Furious, or did you just watch it?

:huh:

Anyway, Got a pic. It's such a sexy car!!!

bmw.jpg

SeanP said:
ain't that america....

beemer on chrome 18s on a dirt driveway in front of a singlewide.
LOL

Little harsh, but, umm, yeah.

buy it! those are good long-lasting cars. I however would try to talk the guy down a grand or so....

Root Moose said:
Beej-isms. You have to be there to get it.

Oh, ok. For a second I was drawing a blank. I guess you REALLY did have to be there!!!:eeks1:

SeanP said:
ain't that america....

beemer on chrome 18s on a dirt driveway in front of a singlewide.

Classic! You see that a lot around here. Trailers with tires on the roof and $60,000 navigators with spinners in front. (yes plural, navigatorS). I guess different people take pride in different things.

In the owners defense, the trailer is the neighbors. This car is usually parked inside a 3 car garage next to a very nice house along with a 50th anniversary corvette. ;) I don't think I would want to buy a BMW from someone that lived on a dirt road in a trailer. Good observation!

Back