• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? for the jeepspeed guys with no back door

Cache96

NAXJA Forum User
Do you guys run something behind the rear seats so the dust doesnt come through?

I went out this past sunday and well i got alot of dust coming in through the rear as expected.

Something like this? What else can i put back there to stop the dust from coming in?

154_0606_06_z1994_custom_jeep_grand_cherokeethird_seat.jpg

Remove the windshield and it will get better. Having no hatch is creating a vaccuum. A firewall like you have pictured would be really cool for a daily driver/something with a windshield.

i usually drop all the windows down and it helps quite a bit, but as mentioned above as long as you have a windshield in there you are creating a vacuum that is going to suck the dust back into the cab.

Well its not a DD, but i would rather keep a windsheild in there as i use it once in a while around town and to work.

I guess i will start looking into what i can put behind the rear seats.

Back in the old days when I used to race JeepSpeed and windshields were mandatory, a lot of people would cut holes in the roof and put an adjustable air scoop to let all the dust out. You could probably find some old pictures with them on the roof if you search hard enough.

i like the plexiglass idea, simple, wont shatter in an accident. cutting in the roof doesnt sound like a smart idea

plexi is less dangerous than glass, but it will still shatter. I am curious as to why you don't think cutting the roof is a smart idea?

This is probably a dumb question, but why are you running without a hatch? The racers do it because most of them have tires sticking out the back, and it's one less(OK, 3 or 4 things less)to worry about.
If you have something sticking out the back end, you could try what Loose Nuts did with their pre-runner:

P1040784.jpg

The thin skin of the roof has little to nothing to do with structure, that comes from the halo the unibody forms. I suppose cutting into the side, front, or back of the unibody up top would cause some problems but holes in the roof wouldn't significantly weaken the body.

This is probably a dumb question, but why are you running without a hatch? The racers do it because most of them have tires sticking out the back, and it's one less(OK, 3 or 4 things less)to worry about.
If you have something sticking out the back end, you could try what Loose Nuts did with their pre-runner:

P1040784.jpg

That looks really nice, i thought about doing that but not sure about it.

I have a tire sticking out the back that is why my hatch is off. here are some pics. its not caged yet, i just finished buying all the material and the cage should go in really soon.

DSC03055.jpg

SANY0502.jpg

Here's a little mix of Plexiglas and aluminum. The first time I did it when my jeep was a three seater I plexyed in the jeeps natural c pillar. The c pillar area is the smallest area for it and it allows for a flat piece all the way across.
plexywindow.jpg

if polycarbonate is available, it might be even better than plexi. its pretty tough sh** very impact resistant and weighs about the same as plexi.

if your worried about shattering it this would be the way to go imho.

I will most likely go with plexi/aluminum mix after the cage is done and do something like I beamedjeep.. ill take some pics and post them up once everything is complete.
Thanks everyone.

Back