• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For the court of public opinion.....

Should I buy a Cheif for $500 from a stranger?

• Total voters

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the story:

Today a guy approaches me in a parking lot. Says he likes my Cherokee.

He tells me he owns about 65 acres of RV storage total in a couple different cities here in So.Cal.

He tells me he had a customer who defaulted and had to put a lien on the property.

He tells me it's a 1982 Jeep Cherokee Chief. He says the paint is faded but the interior is in almost perfect shape. It's been stored indoors for the last 3 years and he says he remembers the owner driving it in. He says the ODO reads just over 90k.

He tells me he called a salvage yard and they made an offer but he says he'd rather see it back on the road than junked out.

He says a new battery and a way to get some good gas to it and it will most likely fire up and drive home.... (Doubtful)

Hands me a business card and says he'll let me haul it away for $500.00

I realize there are a number of factors and I know nothing about this truck, but.....

$500.00

I know nothing about these trucks other than they are BAD ASS!!!

I'll be checking it out this weekend. I only have 2 criteria:

1. It's at least close in shape as he described it. I really don't need a total basket case right now.
2. He has a legit title.

So what y'all think???

Last edited:
Check the VIN tags to make sure they have not been tampered with.

Check the title and make sure it matches the VINs on the vehicle.

Call the police and make sure there is no funny business going on.

If it all checks out and looks OK, BUY IT!

If he is legit he will not get sketched out by any of this. If he starts acting strange, pass on it. Bring a friend.

yea.. make sure there is no funny business going on with the reg/title/law.

then buy it, everything in it can be replaced. I would love to be able to stor and work on a 500$ project jeep.

Probably that it's full size. I'd have a look at it just for giggles; maybe it's a rusty basket case, but if it isn't... score.

He put a lein on the property with the vehicle on it. Basically he now has the rights to the cherokee, but he doesnt have a title unless he lein saled ut to himself and titled it in his name. Doubtful..

But he should have about 3 or 4 dmv paperwork for you to fill out showing he leinsaled the vehicle to you, and transfered it to you, blah blah blah. So dont walk away if he doesnt have a title, but make sure he has proper lein sale paperwork.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

I voted for "buy a roll of toilet paper to cure your mudbutt" :)

have a handgun carry permit?

just in case...........

adding to what nely said, once you have that paper work it should be no issue at the county clerk's office, or dmv, or however y'all do it over there

done this twice myself!

I'm not holding my breath on this. I'm starting to think the guy's a flake....

I called him and left a message. He's called me twice now and left a message both times. He wants to sell the car, but now he says he's too busy to set anything up so I can see it.

If it happens, it happens..... If it doesn't, oh well.

Last edited:
Realy title dont mean a thing if u intend to ride trail and trash it. just get a bill of sells, and make sure u can buy a chief or car with out title in your state.Some states still sell cars and trucks without title any how!and by the way take a friend to.another thing,if u have to to think twice dont do.simple!

Back