• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FOA vs. SAW Race Runner

What No bypasses? I was quoted $550 a shock for 2.5 triple bypasses from King. How cool would that be. I would save a little more and do it big.

Jesus! That's hella cheap, how the hell?

My SAWS are very easy to re-valve, the shims are readily available and I'm sure you could do it all yourself with no hangups, just need the spanner wrench and some aluminum vice blocks. The guys at SAW have been very helpful, I had a stuck cap on one of the shocks when I converted my piggybacks to remote, I called and spoke with Brian Bell for quite a while with jeepspeed specific valving questions etc, he went above and beyond. They also broke the cap loose, replaced it as it was a destructive removal technique, and sent them back to me for free, even though I did not get the shocks from them. In my opinion SAW, King, Fox...I have not had any experiences with the FOAs but they seem to be a viable option, you may want to ask shock pros or an unbiased source of info from the guys that tune/refurbish shocks all day.

See... every time I think about buying shocks, there's a billion different opinions and ideas that make me reconsider, and my head starts spinning! :wow:

Jesus! That's hella cheap, how the hell?

See... every time I think about buying shocks, there's a billion different opinions and ideas that make me reconsider, and my head starts spinning! :wow:

I didn't pay much more than that for my 3-tubes, I believe they were $1140 total.

I basically saved the cash, and as much as one guy said King only, there were three others that said SAW only, or Fox only etc, then I scoured DR and RDZ until I found the right deal on any of the three, they just ended up being SAW and I am very happy with them. The kings that I have had were nice as well but I never got involved with any of the customer service so I can't really comment on that important aspect of your purchase. Good luck, look forward to seeing the progression!

i've got my kings out back that i bought from Skullver (thanks Chris! :cheers:) and they are hands down the best money i ever spent on my jeep. they are the 16" smooth body 2.5 prerunners just like the ones you posted earlier Jim. ive got FOAs ready to go up front just need to save up the $$ to get em fabbed in, so i cant really give any feedback on those yet. people keep telling me im going to have leaking issues with them once i put them on, but ive contacted FOA and they told me if i have any problems they will take care of it, top notch service but it seems like all the shock companies have pretty good customer service reputations. think about it compared to the racers hobbyists like us are probably pretty easy to deal with and keep happy, and far less demanding :D if you want to come up here sometime and take a look at my kings, or pull the FOAs out of the box and look at them or just check em out come on by.

Whatever the shocks brand, in the rear, get the viton seals. There is absolutely no ventilation in the back of the XJ and they will get super hot. The Viton doesn't seal quite as well, but it beats melting them.

I don't think the brand really matters at all. There is no rocket science inside. Once you open one up, you find that there's no voodoo magic inside that shiny tube, and they're all pretty easy to work on.

Adjusting the valving to suit your junk is where the expertise is needed.

Bypasses don't necessarily work any better than a tuned shock, but they make it a lot easier to get dialed, fo shizzle! :D

-Dan

If you end up buying used shock's take them to Kurt at Desert Creations in (I forget...)
Tell him there for an XJ and he'll get you as close to perfect as possible if not dead on.

hit me up when your ready and I'll track down his number.
He's the man when it comes to affordable shock tuning/rebuilding.

I didn't pay much more than that for my 3-tubes, I believe they were $1140 total.

I basically saved the cash, and as much as one guy said King only, there were three others that said SAW only, or Fox only etc, then I scoured DR and RDZ until I found the right deal on any of the three, they just ended up being SAW and I am very happy with them. The kings that I have had were nice as well but I never got involved with any of the customer service so I can't really comment on that important aspect of your purchase. Good luck, look forward to seeing the progression!

That's a pretty damn good price! I wish I had the $$$ at the LeDuc swap meet, there were some good ass deals there. I feel ya on the brand loyalty thing, there's a bunch of people who will complain about every single one of the companies.

i've got my kings out back that i bought from Skullver (thanks Chris! :cheers:) and they are hands down the best money i ever spent on my jeep. they are the 16" smooth body 2.5 prerunners just like the ones you posted earlier Jim. ive got FOAs ready to go up front just need to save up the $$ to get em fabbed in, so i cant really give any feedback on those yet. people keep telling me im going to have leaking issues with them once i put them on, but ive contacted FOA and they told me if i have any problems they will take care of it, top notch service but it seems like all the shock companies have pretty good customer service reputations. think about it compared to the racers hobbyists like us are probably pretty easy to deal with and keep happy, and far less demanding :D if you want to come up here sometime and take a look at my kings, or pull the FOAs out of the box and look at them or just check em out come on by.

I may take you up on that if I ever get out there. Again, from talking to Chris over at FOA they seem top notch.

Whatever the shocks brand, in the rear, get the viton seals. There is absolutely no ventilation in the back of the XJ and they will get super hot. The Viton doesn't seal quite as well, but it beats melting them.

I don't think the brand really matters at all. There is no rocket science inside. Once you open one up, you find that there's no voodoo magic inside that shiny tube, and they're all pretty easy to work on.

Adjusting the valving to suit your junk is where the expertise is needed.

Bypasses don't necessarily work any better than a tuned shock, but they make it a lot easier to get dialed, fo shizzle! :D

-Dan

This is pretty much what I've been thinking as well, from what I've heard talking to people they're all pretty much the same with little tweaks. Small enough tweaks to the point that the extra price difference doesn't make it worth it to me.

But bypasses do make it run better :D

If you end up buying used shock's take them to Kurt at Desert Creations in (I forget...)
Tell him there for an XJ and he'll get you as close to perfect as possible if not dead on.

hit me up when your ready and I'll track down his number.
He's the man when it comes to affordable shock tuning/rebuilding.

Any idea on what he'd charge to do so? I'm assuming he's done enough that he knows the right valving? Or are you saying he'll go out and do a testing session?

My avatar is the confidence you get with Kurts shock tuning...

That's saying a lot hahaha. :thumbup:

He pretty much has the valving nailed down for the XJ. Weight in different places could change things, but he's got it down to where you'll be stoked either way...
Does he valve pretty much anything? FOA's? It'd be nice to know what kind of valving he recommends, then I could just tell FOA to install that from the get go and save time. I could still throw some $$$ his way.

My guess is that he does'nt have a ton of experience with FOA just because there arent that many out there right now.

On a side note.
Unless your doing something custom and totally different from the T&J Performance upper shock mount, I'm positive you will have serious clearence issues with the shock res being designed like it is in the above pic.

Eric

Does he valve pretty much anything? FOA's? It'd be nice to know what kind of valving he recommends, then I could just tell FOA to install that from the get go and save time. I could still throw some $$$ his way.

Are you saying that FOA is now willing to custom valve based on app in lieu of their previous system of the same 5 different valving options?

My guess is that he does'nt have a ton of experience with FOA just because there arent that many out there right now.

On a side note.
Unless your doing something custom and totally different from the T&J Performance upper shock mount, I'm positive you will have serious clearence issues with the shock res being designed like it is in the above pic.

Eric

Oh these are going to be for the rear. Front will be getting a coilover and a bypass (possibly) on a shock hoop, so yea, REALLY different haha.

Are you saying that FOA is now willing to custom valve based on app in lieu of their previous system of the same 5 different valving options?

Not sure, but I don't see why they wouldn't. I figure since they build them all to order anyway, they very well may make a stack you want.

Jim,
Stick to a Bilstein, King or SAW, that way you can revalve, rebuild, etc etc,

I Say no FOA because of leaking and reliability issues.... to many people struggling with that. Also, if you want to do Bilstein, I can most likely get you my racer discount on them (Cool thing about Bilstein, they will build whatever you want however you want it and typically do some valving inclued!!). SAW has the shortest overall mounting lengths, but I ended up with an identical Bilstein for the rear of the Bronco... all I had to do was ask :D

Also, $400-500 is a good price for them!! Just give yourself one month and I guarantee you will find the right set on RDZ.

Jim,
Stick to a Bilstein, King or SAW, that way you can revalve, rebuild, etc etc,

I Say no FOA because of leaking and reliability issues.... to many people struggling with that. Also, if you want to do Bilstein, I can most likely get you my racer discount on them (Cool thing about Bilstein, they will build whatever you want however you want it and typically do some valving inclued!!). SAW has the shortest overall mounting lengths, but I ended up with an identical Bilstein for the rear of the Bronco... all I had to do was ask :D

Also, $400-500 is a good price for them!! Just give yourself one month and I guarantee you will find the right set on RDZ.
Why couldn't I rebuild/revalve an FOA? And their leaking issues have been fixed. The only other downside I've ever seen to them is the cast ends, which don't exist on the piggy backs. All billet with replaceable heims.

The first one is a good deal, I'll shoot the guy an email, the second ones are probably FOA's, he doesn't say what they are. The third ones are the ones I was thinking about buying, and you've seen those, and the last ones aren't what I need right now, I'm looking for the rears. Fronts will get coilovers once I get time/money, but that comes later.

Why couldn't I rebuild/revalve an FOA? And their leaking issues have been fixed. The only other downside I've ever seen to them is the cast ends, which don't exist on the piggy backs. All billet with replaceable heims.

Ahh, didn't knwo they fixed their issues.... I have seen countless people rave about their customer service (but all of those same people were raving because they had sealing issues, and therefore had to send them in to be repaired, which sucks any way you look at it).

Ahh, didn't knwo they fixed their issues.... I have seen countless people rave about their customer service (but all of those same people were raving because they had sealing issues, and therefore had to send them in to be repaired, which sucks any way you look at it).
Yea I definitely agree, that's not a great way to learn about a companies customer service, but you gotta figure, for being a brand new shock company, that being the only major issue they've had to work out, they're not doing so bad. It was a combination of things, they were overfilling them with oil from the factory, shipping them with 0 nitrogen so the seals wouldn't seat, and machined the grooves too large at first.

Well then what's holding ya Back. Seems like FOA would be the way to go..

Back