• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexplate or lifters ?!?

Okay awesome, how long should it take for the marvel to work and notice some sort of difference? I'm sure every jeep is different but you know better then I do as you've used it before

I got far, FAR more change using the RPM trick on mine that I ever got with MMO, but the MMO over time, months or more may have helped clean up the sticky varnish, dissolve it so the RPM trick could work. I used MMO for about 2-3 years on my jeep before I learned about the RPM trick. That said I used it directly in the combustion chamber to clean the piston rings in my saturn and my oil consumption dropped from 1 quart/200 miles to 1 quart in 600 miles on the first use. I made a thread about here 2 months or so back.

I got far, FAR more change using the RPM trick on mine that I ever got with MMO, but the MMO over time, months or more may have helped clean up the sticky varnish, dissolve it so the RPM trick could work. I used MMO for about 2-3 years on my jeep before I learned about the RPM trick. That said I used it directly in the combustion chamber to clean the piston rings in my saturn and my oil consumption dropped from 1 quart/200 miles to 1 quart in 600 miles on the first use. I made a thread about here 2 months or so back.

I don't have any oil consumption on mine, but hopefully the MMO helps. How often do you do the rpm trick? I'm just trying to subside the noise I don't expect to get rid of it 100%. Really just want it to be quited when idling cold. And you've had this noise for thousands and thousands of miles ? No issues right, 'y jeep runs perfect no hiccups or anything it's strong as hell. Just sounds like a 4bt at idle 😂

Yep, yep, and yep. Had the lifter noise most notably at cold start ups the last 12 years, 70,000 miles since I bought the rig. I also have put up with two leaky valve stem guides that foul the #1 and #2 spark plugs over time.

It seems to show up mostly on first day starts on cold mornings. Or if the rig sits for too long, when I use another one for DD service.

It actually runs 10 times better now than when I bought it as I found and fixed hard to figure out stuff. But the noisy lifter has gotten better with time since I started doing the 4500 operation for about 15 seconds about 1-2 times a week for maintenance. Especially in the winter.

Yep, yep, and yep. Had the lifter noise most notably at cold start ups the last 12 years, 70,000 miles since I bought the rig. I also have put up with two leaky valve stem guides that foul the #1 and #2 spark plugs over time.

It seems to show up mostly on first day starts on cold mornings. Or if the rig sits for too long, when I use another one for DD service.

It actually runs 10 times better now than when I bought it as I found and fixed hard to figure out stuff. But the noisy lifter has gotten better with time since I started doing the 4500 operation for about 15 seconds about 1-2 times a week for maintenance. Especially in the winter.

How come you never just decided to change the lifters and cam? I will have to do the rpm trick a few times a week for sure. Seems like if you run mine the shut it off for like 15 min then start it it's super loud but dies down within 20 seconds. Does yours quite down a lot during warmer weather ?

How come you never just decided to change the lifters and cam? I will have to do the rpm trick a few times a week for sure. Seems like if you run mine the shut it off for like 15 min then start it it's super loud but dies down within 20 seconds. Does yours quite down a lot during warmer weather ?

Define loud?

Mine will go for weeks in the summer with out any loud lifter noise, sounds like a sewing machine most of the time. Mine never got bad enough to bother pulling the engine, or pulling the head.

Also it has 290,000 miles on it, and I have a had a spare engine for 10 years sitting on the rack.

"if you run mine then shut it off for like 15 min then start it it's super loud" define super loud? Got a video sound bite to share?

Mine is only loud on a cold cold morning start up. And not as bad as when I first got it. And not loud enough to make think it will toss a rod or piston....

Define loud?

Mine will go for weeks in the summer with out any loud lifter noise, sounds like a sewing machine most of the time. Mine never got bad enough to bother pulling the engine, or pulling the head.

Also it has 290,000 miles on it, and I have a had a spare engine for 10 years sitting on the rack.

"if you run mine then shut it off for like 15 min then start it it's super loud" define super loud? Got a video sound bite to share?

Mine is only loud on a cold cold morning start up. And not as bad as when I first got it. And not loud enough to make think it will toss a rod or piston....

Well that video I originally posted was my "loud". Since the MMO it hasn't pounded like that video unless you shut it off hot and then wait 20 min and start it again but it goes away fairly quickly. I'm curious to see what rn sounds like when it warms up. Single digits this morning

Well that video I originally posted was my "loud". Since the MMO it hasn't pounded like that video unless you shut it off hot and then wait 20 min and start it again but it goes away fairly quickly. I'm curious to see what rn sounds like when it warms up. Single digits this morning

Your loud in that video is about normal for me. To me scary loud is about 3-5 times louder. But mine does not come back after a 20 minute shut down once it has been driven, like say a 1/2 hour. In cold weather, if I do short trips it might come back at start up for wee bit.

So the MMO is already helping? Good!!!

Your loud in that video is about normal for me. To me scary loud is about 3-5 times louder. But mine does not come back after a 20 minute shut down once it has been driven, like say a 1/2 hour. In cold weather, if I do short trips it might come back at start up for wee bit.

So the MMO is already helping? Good!!!

Yeah the MMO seems to OF worked a great bit so far only been 200miles!!! Yeah idk but being 5 degrees in the morning and not loud I wonder what 30 degrees will sound like now

Your vid sounds a lot like my '01 XJ. I'll have to give the 4500 RPM trick a try. I run Rotella T Syn motor oil so I'd hope my lifters aren't gummy or stuck, but with the mileage who knows. :) I'll have to give it a try or maybe try some MMO next oil change.

Your vid sounds a lot like my '01 XJ. I'll have to give the 4500 RPM trick a try. I run Rotella T Syn motor oil so I'd hope my lifters aren't gummy or stuck, but with the mileage who knows. :) I'll have to give it a try or maybe try some MMO next oil change.

How long have you had this noise going on for ?

My XJ is somewhat Bi-Polar... sometimes it makes that rattle/ticking noise and sometimes it doesn't. Usually it's worse as the temps drop below freezing. But it's also 'noisiest' at idle and then purrs like a kitten once the RPM's come up above 1K rpms. Not as many shakes, rattles or vibrations once the RPMs come up.

My XJ is somewhat Bi-Polar... sometimes it makes that rattle/ticking noise and sometimes it doesn't. Usually it's worse as the temps drop below freezing. But it's also 'noisiest' at idle and then purrs like a kitten once the RPM's come up above 1K rpms. Not as many shakes, rattles or vibrations once the RPMs come up.

Bi polar jeeps 🙄 Lol. Assuming you listened to my video I posted its identical to what your hearing ? It's refreshing knowing yours done it for 5 years. If it decides to blow up I'll do a new engine but what's the point if it is quite after driven and it's not effecting it at all.. have you had the sound diagnosed before by anyone?

I haven't had it diagnosed per-say... other than reading the forums here. I did have to replace my 0331 Cylinder head a few years back due to the typical cracking. Other than that I've not had to do any 'overhaul' type work. I also didn't replace any bearings when the head let go. I have developed the rear main seal leak which I'll likely replace when the weather warms up but that's a different thread. I just keep thinking if/when/maybe it'll blow up and then I'll replace the motor. But so long as it keeps running and getting me back/forth to work I'm just leaving it alone. :)

I haven't had it diagnosed per-say... other than reading the forums here. I did have to replace my 0331 Cylinder head a few years back due to the typical cracking. Other than that I've not had to do any 'overhaul' type work. I also didn't replace any bearings when the head let go. I have developed the rear main seal leak which I'll likely replace when the weather warms up but that's a different thread. I just keep thinking if/when/maybe it'll blow up and then I'll replace the motor. But so long as it keeps running and getting me back/forth to work I'm just leaving it alone. :)

Hmm okay. I guess I'll just keep on keeping on with it and see what happens. If you had to replace your head shit I would've done the lifters for 20$! Maybe you wouldn't have the noise anymore gahhhh. Anyways I'm going wheelin later we'll see how she does with some skinny pedal action

Back