• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex Fan

REDXJ4FUN

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one tried using a flex fan instead of the clutch fan. I don't care for clutch fans abd flex fan are inexpencive so is there a reason I'm not seeing why I cant run one?

The reason I have been told is that a flex fan is rigidly mounted, so if the fan blades hit water when fording a stream the blades shear off. If you do all your wheeling in the Arizona desert, this may not be an issue.

No, its a problem here too!The blades dont shear off,they pull(screw)forward in the water taking out the radiator.Beleive me when I say "been there ,done that".

REDXJ4FUN said:
Ok I see why no one uses them I guess its time to buy another clutch for the fan.

I have a friend who got tired of replacing fan clutches so he just tack wleded his -- made it a rigid assembly. You can do the same thing and save weight by replacing the clutch with a spacer, but keep the solid fan.

Most of you lads are too young to remember, but until the late 60's or early 70's all fans were solid, and we didn't have viscous clutches. The flex fan and the fan clutch were both introduced as a way of squeezing a bit more mileage out, by allowing the fan to "relax" at highway speed when it isn't needed for cooling. Putting in a rigid connector won't do any harm, other than maybe costing a tenth of a MPG.

welding it Had come to mind but at least with a clutch when you get in deepm water it will hope fully slip and not spray water everywear. but maybe it wount be so bad.

Eagle said:
I have a friend who got tired of replacing fan clutches so he just tack wleded his -- made it a rigid assembly. You can do the same thing and save weight by replacing the clutch with a spacer, but keep the solid fan.

Most of you lads are too young to remember, but until the late 60's or early 70's all fans were solid, and we didn't have viscous clutches. The flex fan and the fan clutch were both introduced as a way of squeezing a bit more mileage out, by allowing the fan to "relax" at highway speed when it isn't needed for cooling. Putting in a rigid connector won't do any harm, other than maybe costing a tenth of a MPG.

Those were the days....the fans were made of steel and driven by their own belt...every spark plug was accessible without standing on your head while using special tool number #$%^&*!@. No Cats, no Sensors, no computers, and 110 octane leaded fuel at 15c a liter...sigh.....

Back