• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flares: Rusty's, Bushwackers, None, Stock, YJ/TJ?

Which flares do you like w/35's and 6" lift

• Rusty's

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Bushwacker

Votes: 69 29.9%
  • Trimmed Stock Flares

Votes: 32 13.9%
  • TJ/YJ

Votes: 57 24.7%
  • None

Votes: 55 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have TJ flares.You can open the fenders up huge with them.I think I paid about $75.00 for them.I couldn't beat the deal.I think the BW's look too bulky.

Well I knew I needed something and and I really love how Rusty's looked....but when the guys who run them swear that they suck, you know something's wrong.

I went with BW's and like the clearance I have now and they look ok. kind of Tonka, but I'm ok with it.

They actually helped pull some of the wrinkles and dents out of my fenders...and I have to beat the lower fender back down from inside to get them to line up (but that's my bad)

These are 33" LTB's on 5.5" of lift...if you're running BFG's or MTR's then you'll be fine...
28.jpg

29.jpg

Re: These were Rusty's...

Handlebars said:
standard.jpg

FWIW I voted for the TJ flares. :) The Rusty's are no longer serving the intended purpose of keeping mud off the side ( and hood... and roof) of my Cherokee. :(

I like how the Rusty's flares self clearance against rocks and trees. :D

Jes

Flares :dunno:

I agree with anyone whos flares I've seen get peeled off...and ye are plentiful :viking:

Personally, don't run em on my trail rig, and it gets muddy. Also the 4 roostertails in the rain are fun too.

I'd like to bend up a set that q/d, and are light & stowable... maybe attach to the fenders with a few Dzuz or eq. These wouldn't be durable against rocks & such (what is?) but effective for rain & wide enough to keep the law happy.

Hunter once mentioned using commercial-spec tile floor rubber kick-panel... I dunno if the short part of the 'L' is beefy enough to be trail-rated though.

I do not have flares on mine right now, but then again I'm from Indiana (noticed the post earlier about this). I'm really considering putting flares on mainly because of the gravel roads around here. I'll dang near pay for a set just in the amount of windsheild wiper fluid I'll have to buy! All the glass gets so dirty it's hard to see out of them. I do like the look without them though and (I agree Woody) the rooster tails are kinda fun!

I'm still torn between (4) rear TJ flares and the Bushwackers. I have a 2dr so some issued I won't have that 4dr folks do. Bushwackers look better to me than the TJ fleares but cost will be a big factor ... the $150 - $200 difference can be used a lot better than for buying plastic!

Les

woody said:
Flares :dunno:

I agree with anyone whos flares I've seen get peeled off...and ye are plentiful :viking:

Personally, don't run em on my trail rig, and it gets muddy. Also the 4 roostertails in the rain are fun too.

I'd like to bend up a set that q/d, and are light & stowable... maybe attach to the fenders with a few Dzuz or eq. These wouldn't be durable against rocks & such (what is?) but effective for rain & wide enough to keep the law happy.

Hunter once mentioned using commercial-spec tile floor rubber kick-panel... I dunno if the short part of the 'L' is beefy enough to be trail-rated though.

Along those lines (kick panel) here is the standard rubber flare material that comes in a roll...you cut the stuff to length and install...comes in 2.5" wide and 4" wide...Jesse loves the stuff...

jese.JPG

Sorry I don't have a better pic...I'll swing by his place today and get one.

RJ

Jeepin_rebel said:
Anybody know how much those TJ flares cost?

Look around TJ forums and such...usually guys selling them...a good looking setup is two sets of rear TJ flares

I just looked on E-Bay.There are two new sets for $110-each Buy It Now and two used sets,one set was $20- and the other set was $30-.

I just put a set of BW's on my 2 door...they fit up pretty easy...and work pretty good too...

JEEPZZ said:
I like my Bushwackers, but the trail didn't.

dsc03365s.jpg

Damn Todd, you didn't trim too much eh? Not that it matters because the BW's scoop in (Ary had sligtly modded mine when he had them so mine don't as much.)...I literally Outlined my stock flares in their stock locations and then removed them...that was our first cut LOL! We brought it up a tick after.

Toz

Where can you get that stuff by the roll? That looks like a really great idea for flares. Has anyone tried this on a XJ?

TOZOVR said:
Along those lines (kick panel) here is the standard rubber flare material that comes in a roll...you cut the stuff to length and install...comes in 2.5" wide and 4" wide...Jesse loves the stuff...

jese.JPG

Sorry I don't have a better pic...I'll swing by his place today and get one.

RJ

BrianJr said:
Where can you get that stuff by the roll? That looks like a really great idea for flares. Has anyone tried this on a XJ?

I'll ask Jesse where he got it

TOZOVR said:
Damn Todd, you didn't trim too much eh? Not that it matters because the BW's scoop in (Ary had sligtly modded mine when he had them so mine don't as much.)...I literally Outlined my stock flares in their stock locations and then removed them...that was our first cut LOL! We brought it up a tick after.

Toz
RJ, I wanted to keep as much of the "step" around the wheel opening as possible for rigid structural support of the fender.
I trimmed out way too much on my 87 and the flat metal just flops in and out. (I believe the term for it is called 'oil canning'?) Every time I pop the fender out, a few miles down the road it's popped back in again.

BTW, I really like those half internal, half exo cages that the Defender 110 has. I hear that they're quite functional too. I'd like to see one on an XJ. (other than the one Jeep built on the concept "Casablanca" XJ)
xjcasablanca.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back