• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First things First.....

xjtrailrider said:
I don't have a issue with that, most Virginians vacation in SC at least one week out of the summer!LOL! SC is not a far drive from most places in VA with the exception of NOVA.

No kidding! Heck, it takes less time to go to Myrtle, than VA beach from where we are :)

At the same time KY and TN are close as well, and our local club travels there often....

I'm leaning towards a yes because I am for a smaller group, but :dunno:. I will wait to hear more input before I make a final decision.

See.... we can't have too many people do the "wait and see what other folks say" because then we have a bunch of people just being idle and waiting forever for someone to step up..

We really need this thread to be changed to a Poll. IN order that we can have a clear understanding of what people's votes are, this current thread can be used for discussion of the benefits/negatives of forming a new chapter.

I vote yes. I've never been sure what chapter i belong to seeing how i live in nova but I'm in southern Viginia 9 months of the year for school. So, I think this would help keep things much more organized.

ZacSquatch said:
See.... we can't have too many people do the "wait and see what other folks say" because then we have a bunch of people just being idle and waiting forever for someone to step up..
Understandable!
Personally, I just want to be able to make an informed decision...
Honestly, I just haven't spent much time in the Chapter Forums, so I just need to :geek: a little to see what's going on. It won't take long.

yes

VA has crozet, shoe creek, GWNF......and my junk won't survive a roadtrip much furthur than that:)

Jeff

Alright, I have :compwork: , and have decided to vote YES. (I "officially" voted in the other thread).

Jeff in VA said:
yes

VA has crozet, shoe creek, GWNF......and my junk won't survive a roadtrip much furthur than that:)

Jeff

I am new to the area....Where exactly are these places???? I am in the middle of the state so none can be that far....As soon as i get the lift on.....probably this summer, i wanna hit some of these...

flash2pablo said:
I am new to the area....Where exactly are these places???? I am in the middle of the state so none can be that far....As soon as i get the lift on.....probably this summer, i wanna hit some of these...

I'm less than an hour away from you. Crozet is member only and you have to be invited by a member to attend. Crozet is a small town just to the west of Charlottesville and before you get to Afton Mtn. on 64.

Michelle and others can post up and tell you more about Crozet, Shoecreek, and GWNF. I have been to Crozet but i mostly wheel right around Roanoke.

flash2pablo said:
Shoe Creek is pretty fun, but I haven't been there in a few years. It's located in Nelson Co. It's not far from Oak Ridge, where many bigger events are held (Camp Jeep, VA4WDA's annual ride, Jeep Jamboree, etc...). It's probably about 2-2.5 hrs from Roanoke.

Like Jon, I haven't made it up to the GWNF yet :( , but I hear there's a lot up there. I believe the main OHV trails are near Harrisonburg.

Of course, there are a few trails "locally" as well. None of them are very long, or hard (most obstacles have bypasses), but if you run a couple of them, it makes for a full day. For example, Potts Jeep Trail in Craig Co. is a pretty good ride (that one by itself can take most of the day, depending on the group).

If I remember correctly GWNF is about 10-15 miles west of Harrisonburg. Fun Place, planning a trip there in May.

Crozet is about 15 miles west of Charlottsvile. Great place if you like lots of rocks! We do several open wheeling events for non memebrs several times a year. Right now we have two scheduled, March 1-2 and another in June. But its usually no problem to ride along as a guest of a member. Also individual clubs can reserve a day or weekend .

Potts Mountian is another good place to wheel, Jon is that in Giles or Craig County? This trail will reopen the first weekend in April.

Peavine Jeep trial is another, havent been there yet. That one is not far from Big Island on Rt 130.

Deff Craig County, we have about 80 acres right below Potts mountain right outside Newcastle. Haha, Potts mountain is just one rigde away from bein WVa.. Haven't been wheeling up there yet though.

Last edited:
ZacSquatch said:
Deff Craig County, we have about 80 acres right below Potts mountain right outside Newcastle. Haha, Potts mountain is just one rigde away from bein WVa.. Haven't been wheeling up there yet though.

Ya gotta come up when we all go back up the next time. I'm out of a trail rig right now but hopefully when they open it back up I will be ready. I'll post up the next ride on here for those that want to make the trip.

Seems to me like most of the people voting for the chapter are VA, WV, and that area. I personally think they need to take this and run with it.

My initial reaction is to vote yes since NoVa (where I am) is so far away from the majority of the SEC members and the major SEC trails. When I got here from SoCal I tried to spin up a couple of M&G's but there just were not enough people in the local area. I "run into" NAXJA members at Crozet and Big Dogs events but thats about it.

If there was a group of Va, WVa, (MD?) & NC wheelers that got together frequently (4-5 times a year) for weekends and M&G's I think a Mid Atlantic Chapter (MAC) would work. Perhaps I am just not tied in with the right folks but I dont see the participation level that would give a Chapter critical mass. I dont think that this is a case of if you build it they will come.

Before starting up a chapter I believe folks in favor of the MAC, including me, should try to act like a chapter first. Hold several M&G's, hold several weekend events and see if the turnout really supports a MAC.

I vote NO but am willing to reverse my postition if attendance at "psuedo MAC" events is strong.

John

Well that is a fantastic idea.....If we could plan a m&g lets get a few suggestions on location....We could do two one in lower North Carolina and another in mid Virginia to give majority of members a place within a reasonable distance. I think this could work out great on a weekday.

At least that would be my thought...

Today i looked at the current poll results, which doesn't officially end until the 23rd, currently the vote count is 18 for and 11 against.
What is the needed margin to form this chapter? Is there a majority needed or is it a super-majority? I don't know how the voting is going to end up, but this would help us to take the results once they are in and either run with the chapter or erase all thoughts of one.

Back