• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First power tools

owning dewalt, isnt the same as selling good tools labeled black and decker. show me a good black and decker tool.

"When it comes to tools, Black and Decker is an amazing company" nice, unbiased source, huh?

i was questioning if they sold another line of tools back east or something, but i didnt know they owned dewalt. black and decker is still a brand, AND a company, their BRAND tools dont even belong in a mans garage.
i have a lot of older black and decker tools. they have outlasted my newer dewalt tools.

i have a 25 maybe 30 year old black and decker drill. standard issue to local 134 ibew. thing still works like the day my dad got it. you dont see many power tools that last that long.

ok, so apparently they made some good stuff 20-30 years ago, i stand corrected on that. im 26 years old, and apparently new to this.

do they sell new stuff thats good? sinse they bought dewalt?

ok cool, i thought there was some secret black and decker line that they only sell to you union guys.

the way i see it, an xrp drill is $300, with two batteries, $300 - (90x2) = a $120 drill, thats not really that bad, ive got a year plus on my current drill. which shit out on my the first week (got it replaced, but meh! i actually posted a rage thread about it, before this sub forum)

im not saying dewalt is perfect, but its better than anything else ive seen in comparable price form.

your quote from B&D pretty much sums it up, dewalt is their HD lineup, and i dont want anything BUT the hd lineup.

ok cool, i thought there was some secret black and decker line that they only sell to you union guys.

the way i see it, an xrp drill is $300, with two batteries, $300 - (90x2) = a $120 drill, thats not really that bad, ive got a year plus on my current drill. which shit out on my the first week (got it replaced, but meh! i actually posted a rage thread about it, before this sub forum)

im not saying dewalt is perfect, but its better than anything else ive seen in comparable price form.

your quote from B&D pretty much sums it up, dewalt is their HD lineup, and i dont want anything BUT the hd lineup.
i love my b n d sawzall. I have cut axels, swingsets, trees, tops off cars, sunroofs, chains, and who knows what else.

For tools, each brand has its ups and downs.

The chucks are available as service parts, look for a factory service center, you should be able to buy them OTC. If not PM me and I can get them for you.

Black and Decker, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Delta were recently acquired by Stanley Tool Works.

Please do not buy tools from pawn shops, Theft costs all of us.

I think I'm going to go with this system:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...s&cName=Portable+Power+Tools&sName=Combo+Kits
I'll have to buy the grinder separately, but there are next to no combo kits with it anyways. Do you think the 1/2" impact is a good idea?

I love my Dewalt 1/2" impact. Don't have experience with the Craftsman line, but one thing to note with that kit is that one of the batteries is a compact, probably 1.5 aH. It will probably be fine in the drill for most uses, but will most likely drain pretty quick in the impact, or the grinder.

I would not trade my dewalt drills for anything... I dont care who makes them. I have dropped my 18v from 30 ft onto payment, ran 12" lag bolts in with it, drilled thousnds of holes in steel, used it to mix thinset and paint. Nothing will kill it!!! (the shitty part is the damn thig got stolen but I have a new one now so im happy but do kinda miss the old one)

my craftsman cordless sawzall has done pretty well. I can pull a rearend at the junkyard with one battery or a front axle with two, and that's including cutting all the control arms because I am lazy.

Other stuff - drill press as soon as you can. Angle grinder (corded) as soon as you can. Home Depot has corded 250watt halogen work lights for like ten bucks, and cordless LED work lights for 20 that come with a car charger, I keep one in each jeep.

Got a maglite for the Jeep, but I'm definitely going to pick up some of those work lights, have a pair at the parents house and they're awesome.

Went and bit the bullet on that Mechanics combo, looked to be the best deal. So far I love it, I've only put it through mild use but the impact took the sway bar bolts right off and the drill handled great on a few things I tried it on. The lights on them are handy as well.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for in your first power tool(s), but keep in mind that convenience adds much to the price of things. Example: I have a Mac 1/2" impact that runs about 800-900 ft./lb. of tq at 90 PSI. It's about a $300 gun. Got a cordless Ingersoll Rand IRW360 (360 ft./lb.) which works great, but it has way less than half the torque for more $$$. Take a 360 ft./lb. air impact wrench and you're looking at about $150. Don't get me wrong, I love the cordless impact and I actually use it at my shop where I have air and electricity just for the convenience, but when that bolt just won't budge, I hit it with the Mac and in 3 seconds it's out. Just saying, you'll pay more for cordless convenience (for some, it might be priceless) and you won't get as much power out of them. Plus, you'll need spare batteries and a way to charge them. Just my 2 cents. I started off with air and electric power tools and bought the cordless tools when convenience outweighed the price difference. Hope that helps!

I realize this but seeing as how I almost never have outlets or air available cordless was the only way to go.

Back