• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First looks at commanche Factory brush gaurd on a XJ.

I'd have to modify it a bit before it would go on mine. It's a bit too wide. I myself don't care for the looks of it, but it would keep the deer from smashing your radiator when you run them down.

How is this a comanche guard? I think someones BSing you, in fact i know they are since a comanche is the same size as an XJ. Unless its the fullsize comanche.

Ehh, I'd have to vote Nay. For some reason it brings back bad memories of those dental headgear devices. . . :gee:

Maybe it just needs straightened. But as stated before, there is much worse out there, and with a little TLC it might look alright. At least it's not painted yellow.

Personally, I think it's too big.

On the other hand, if i could find something like that already made for $25?? Hells yeah! Of course if i could weld at all, or even had a welder so i could pretend to weld, i would attempt to fix that issue.

Still, aside from protecting your lights and radiator, isn't the whole point to freak out dropped four banger cars? That thing is frightening in New ways...

Edit: Amen to the yellow!

reminds me a lot of the guards they put on HMMWVs
M1025A2%20HMMWV-2.jpg

Very easy to rip it off if you are backing out while turning.
Turn it into a bed head I say.

I know some of us supported you when your girlfriend said "This whole XJ thing is getting out of hand". but seriously this is getting out of hand stop now before you get your jeep privleges revoked...:twak:

Just kidding I'm sure theres a way to make it look decent. How did the thing with the GF go?

The GF thing went good, She loved the surprise. We did alittle camping on the beach, theres a beach in OC MD you park on and we did that, made alittle fire and hung out. She was happy, and I was happy I got to drive the XJ.

I Did alittle tweaking of the gaurd, I shortened its height, and curved the ends in towards the fenders. Now they don't extend passed the fender Flares which will keep my flares from getting ripped off or rashed.

I bought this Jeep to join a local Search and Rescue team to gain clinical hours for college and to help a good cause. I wasn't about to drop anywhere near the money some of you pay for a gaurd that looks pretty. The way I see it, you can have two of the three.

Cosmetics, quality, or affordable.

I obviously picked quality and affordable. That gaurd is solid, the entire outer shape of it is a single pipe with 1.5inch square tubing bracing. A brush gaurd is meant to keep branches from busting out headlights and protect your front end right? Well this will certainly do that with overkill.

I guess Im the only one who can appriciate a $25 junkyard find that does the same job but alittle uglier as the $500 brush gaurds?

The gaurd came off a Commanche for sure, There was another one I saw on a Honcho so I assumed it was a factory option. Maybe just two of the same companies models?

Excuse my grammer, I typed this from school in the 10 minutes between finals :)

Isn't the Jeep Moto Fuction > Form? Because I know Form
......................................................................Fuction = Honda.

Most of my parts are from the Junkyard, they're cheap, durable, and I made all of them myself :)

I certainly don't believe in JEEP.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket.

Last edited:
Plays For Jeeps said:
The gaurd came off a Commanche for sure, There was another one I saw on a Honcho so I assumed it was a factory option. Maybe just two of the same companies models?

That will at least clear up the confusion as to source. Most folks here think of "Commanche" as in MJ - XJ relative with a pickup bed. The Commanche you got this off of is apparently a J-10 full size pickup with the Commanche trim package from sometime in the 70's - thus its hugeness... I think if you got the ends bent back so as to avoid grabbing every tree, rock and stump you drive by, you will have accomplished your fuction over form goal.

For the record though, I think it looks like ass too...:laugh3:

xj-grin said:
That will at least clear up the confusion as to source. Most folks here think of "Commanche" as in MJ - XJ relative with a pickup bed. The Commanche you got this off of is apparently a J-10 full size pickup with the Commanche trim package from sometime in the 70's - thus its hugeness... I think if you got the ends bent back so as to avoid grabbing every tree, rock and stump you drive by, you will have accomplished your fuction over form goal.

Yeah, that straightens out the Commanche thing. Different Commanche.

That guard is.........interesting looking, to say the least. With the end bars wrapped around the body it will look better, but still............interesting.

xj-grin said:

Sorry, Im still new to the Jeep thing.

I've done imports, muscle, cycles, coupes, wagons, and diesels. Jeeps were the last on the list :)

Plays For Jeeps said:
Sorry, Im still new to the Jeep thing.

I've done imports, muscle, cycles, coupes, wagons, and diesels. Jeeps were the last on the list :)

Welcome to the pinnacle!!

Back