• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First aid kits

Another group I dabble in, JustRuns, is going to do a CPR/First Aid training M&G sometime soon; one of the members is a certified instructor & will teach the class (down here in San Diego) basically for the cost of materials & such. Pretty cool!

I can help with the class. I am certified (mil type certs) up through some basic surgery, surgical airways, all the cool stuff that civvy EMT's and Paramedics don't (unfortunately for them and thier patients) get to do. That was NOT by any stretch of the imagination a dig at my civillian bretheren, just a statement that alot of them could do the same things I can, but lawmakers got in the way. I can also do maps, fieldcraft, survival, rescue, swiftwater survival, high altitude med, and stuff like that.

Some of the vet supply places sell disposable staples. I wanna get that. for the most part, taking CPR and basic first aid are your best bet. Get that airway open! An AED would be awsome, they really need to come down in price. I did CPR once on the side of the road and would have loved to have had a bag handy.

KH

carol, let us know when that course might be available - peeps in SD might be interested for sure - glad u brought it up. the military required me to go thru 1st aid/survival every year, but it's been 20yrs since i left the usaf - forgot a bunch

Will do, Terry.

If anyone can host pics fo me, I can thrown examples of different kits here instead of emailing them to folks. I will lay everything out this weekend and get some good clear pictures and we can set it up.

Here is what I carry:

(1) - CPR mask with one-way valve.
(2) - Adjustable C-collar
(~30) - 4x4 Dressings
(~5) - 5x9 Dressings
(2) - Trauma Bandages(10x30)
(2) - Rolls of Tape
(2) - gauze rolls
(1) - Trauma Shears
(1) - Set of Oral Airways
(3) - Ace self sticking bandage rolls
Emergency Blanket
Vasoline (can be used to make an oclusive bandage)
Tons of sterile wipes, bandaids, and smaller misc items like q-tips and anitbiotic ointment.

Another group I dabble in, JustRuns, is going to do a CPR/First Aid training M&G sometime soon; one of the members is a certified instructor & will teach the class (down here in San Diego) basically for the cost of materials & such. Pretty cool!

thats awesome. i'm definitely interested in knowing this. i took the cert in high school, buts its been 5 years, i could love to participate in the class carol. let me know please. btw do you still have my cell number?

a little knowledge can be dangerous - can also save lives. a basic first aid kit, common sense, & a cell phone are always required on the trail. i've been wanting to learn more about more advanced first aid, & think we need to get some peeps who know what they talkin about to teach us. for what we do, we need instructors not only in first aid, but also survival, basic mechanics, & COMMON SENSE. forgot basic map reading/use of gps

very true. this man speaks the truth, i would love more knowledge. its valuable information.

If anyone can host pics fo me, I can thrown examples of different kits here instead of emailing them to folks. I will lay everything out this weekend and get some good clear pictures and we can set it up.

i am also interested in a kit, looking forward to seeing this.

we workin on this - no certs, but info we could all use - we have someone interested in teaching this portion - we should go beyond 1st aid - lets go for leadership as well

I think he meens to lead in the situation ie designate tasks keep people calm and focussed as well as making sure other people don't get in the way and make things worst or get hurt them selves

This is going back a long time but that was all part of the training we got in the scouts holy crap that was like 15 years ago now where are my car keys

gerr got my meaning, but not all the way - i've pm'ed cowboy a bit about this, since he has the ability/knowledge to help w/ this kind of training; somebody needs to really get it rolling. i workin on that portion. we have alot of peeps who r confident & capable in various fields that would be useful to e-one who does what we do - 1st aid (cowboy) is a great step in the right direction. we need to take it further - mechanics, vehicle recovery, teamwork, & survival all come to mind

gerr got my meaning, but not all the way - i've pm'ed cowboy a bit about this, since he has the ability/knowledge to help w/ this kind of training; somebody needs to really get it rolling. i workin on that portion. we have alot of peeps who r confident & capable in various fields that would be useful to e-one who does what we do - 1st aid (cowboy) is a great step in the right direction. we need to take it further - mechanics, vehicle recovery, teamwork, & survival all come to mind

Sounds like an interesting idea :).

I have been thru several first aid and cpr classes including the AED (although they are expired and I did not renew them when getting into my current job for last 5 years).

As for the other things that u mention I am learning them all as I go along. I would love to find people nearby to get together and learn some things from though.. not sure that I would want to go a long way for it.

Basically wounds I see on the trail are deep cuts. CRP you won’t use unless someone is electrocuted or is a drowning victim these are pretty much the only times it will help, its nice skill set to have but as far as trauma goes you wont be needing it. On my kit I have 3 tourniquets, 2 pressure bandages, nasopharyngeal tube, gauze, and material to make a bandage for a sucking chest wound. I also carry celox packets and gauze with celox in it.

I have to appologize to everyone. I had some stuff happen over the weekend that had to be dealt with and I didn't get any pics of my bags. I should be headed home tomorrow night, so I will try to take some decent shots and get them posted shortly.

Basically wounds I see on the trail are deep cuts. CRP you won’t use unless someone is electrocuted or is a drowning victim these are pretty much the only times it will help, its nice skill set to have but as far as trauma goes you wont be needing it. On my kit I have 3 tourniquets, 2 pressure bandages, nasopharyngeal tube, gauze, and material to make a bandage for a sucking chest wound. I also carry celox packets and gauze with celox in it.

Electrocuted, has a cardiac event, has a major head trauma...the list goes on as to reasons why one might need CPR...

from what ive seen head trauma bad enough to stop the heart or breathing cpr would be a short term soulution to a long term problem. If you can keep the tissue alive with cpr for long enough to be put on life support sure. I just finished some first aid training that didnt even cover cpr because the course focused on what no crap saves lives in a trauma situation.

Back