• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First aid kits

from what ive seen head trauma bad enough to stop the heart or breathing cpr would be a short term soulution to a long term problem. If you can keep the tissue alive with cpr for long enough to be put on life support sure. I just finished some first aid training that didnt even cover cpr because the course focused on what no crap saves lives in a trauma situation.
Have you been reading this thread? The people you're talking to are certified/trained in first aid and saving lives, cowbydoc seems to be military, possibly Corpsman I'm guessing? My cousin is a Corpsman, just came from the FMF schools at Pendleton. I was in the Marine Corps and we were all trained CPR in boot camp because it saves lives. They wouldn't waste time with something that was ineffective.

Have you been reading this thread? The people you're talking to are certified/trained in first aid and saving lives, cowbydoc seems to be military, possibly Corpsman I'm guessing? My cousin is a Corpsman, just came from the FMF schools at Pendleton. I was in the Marine Corps and we were all trained CPR in boot camp because it saves lives. They wouldn't waste time with something that was ineffective.

He is right! I have been an FMF Corpsman for the last 6 years, had 8 years of civvy EMS before joining. I am not trying to jerk you around, but whoever taught that class needs to be pimp slapped. He or she did you a great dis-service by not explaining things better. I am pretty excited about being able to help my fellow jeepers get this going.

The course was made for down and dirty combat trauma. The focus was stop the bleed and treat for shock. CPR wasnt saving lives and was distracting people from more pressing issues. In the civilian world things do change and you are more apt to see an electricution or a heart attack, where CPR could save a life. I find that alot of people who know CPR dont know when to use it.

CPR saves lives but i feel other skills are much more likley to save a life in a roll over or high speed crash.

On another note whats the type of splint called that seems to be tin wrapped in a thin poly foam? You can shape it to fit pretty much anypart of the body.

Copmbat trauma is VERY different from trauma this side of the world. The injuries are usually similar, but the treatments are polar oposites! I can do X100 more things there than i can do here. I have been a senior Combat Trauma Management instructor at 1st MARDIV and we always taught our students that yes, CPR is useful, just not in combat. I agree with you, but at the same time disagree with you about it being taught. Even if you aren't going to use it when things get bumblebee, you should still know it.

SAM splint

Why? Do you need a few?

Well last night I went to the local vet supply shop and was amazed at the stuff you can get there
sterilized stapplers
needles
lanclets
splints
wraps
antibiotics
individual instriments stitches in a baggy with instructions all right behind the counter granted its all "not for humans" but holy crap why couldn't you use them in a situation where you had to?

Depends. If they are vet use only, they can be impregnated with different meds for the animals. not so great for human consumption. Most of the gear can swap 2 leg or 4, so it's no real biggie. With the meds, sharps (staples, needles, etc), or sutures I would sway away from them and stick to human products only.

I was just amazed at the fact they sell to the public. Good to know about the possible impregnated stuff.

What's your opinon on the skin glue stuff? I've been told not to use it and I've been told to keep it in my glovebox/toolbox etc both by nurses. I've used it a few times

What's your opinon on the skin glue stuff? I've been told not to use it and I've been told to keep it in my glovebox/toolbox etc both by nurses. I've used it a few times

I can't speak to the medicinal stuff, but when I used to play hockey, I used plain old ordinary superglue and dental floss for stiches. Of course the one time I went the doctor afterwards, he about had a coronary over it.:gee:

I really like it in certain situations. I do a lot of groundfighting and grappling. It is a great tool for the usual suspects there. I keep the med version (Dermabond) in my Jeep, in all of my kits, and a few tubes around the house. It is pretty much the same stuff as regular old superglue with a bit of dye added to see it and a little more refinement.

Back