• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fire

jeepster96

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys. problem with the xj today. my wife was driving it and the heater switch got hot and melted the the connector and almost caught fire. n e body know hot this could happen? im think just the switch was messed up and some how got hot and melted the connector and made lots of smoke. scared the hell out of her. n e imput let me know thanks. and also looking for a new switch.

all i know is i have some plugs on my jeep (dash area) that loook like they've been damn hot a time or two.

it think its a trait of the older jeeps.

No experience with the heater switch, but in my old 92 the headlight switch shorted and started melting and smoking. Replaced and all was good. Hopefully you can just replace the switch.

jeepster96 said:
ya im going to trace wires tomorrow and hopefully find something. its a 96 with the 0bd2 so theres a shit pot more wires everywhere.

have fun! finding shorts and fixing messed up wiring is not something i like to do:doh:

thanks a lot!

my fan speed switch just went out last night!

perfect timing eh?

so i unplugged it and broke off the burnt plastic plug and taped the two wires together that run the fan and WOT!

works pretty good. cousin says he's got an extra switch

ya same thing. it was the fan speed switch. i started to tear into my dash and traced the wires it goes down to the fan its self and i couldnt find ne thing wrong so hopefully its just the switch. got a new one on the way.

There are several reasons it could have failed. One of the most common would be corrosion or oxidation of the contacts in the switch or connector. That creates resistance and the result is heat. Another possibility is the heater fan motor could be failing and drawing excessive current which would also create extra heat. If you replace the switch and or connector, make sure you clean the contact points where they connect electrically. You might want to find someone with a multimeter that can handle more than the rated amperage of the motor and see if it's drawing excessive amps when running. If it is then replacing the switch or connector won't solve the problem for very long.
Steve

and if your wire is "discolored" or melted just back from the plug for the switch i advise you remedy that by re connecting a new plug on because even with a new switch the burnt wiring is a receipt for disaster!

Back