• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally getting gears

azxjman

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure this is a stupid question but I am ordering the gears off the net and it has the gears by U.S. gear are these good gears? Also they have complete rebuild kits to do I need these or not? Should the gears come with the shims to do the install? And is there anything else I should know before I install these finally?

Are you doing the install yourself? I'm leaving mine to the URF team. I'm not sure what you'll need, but I'm getting a master setup kit for both ends, along with new axle seals and collars for the 44 rear. I think the gears will be just the ring and pinion, but the setup kit should have shims.

alright!

way to go!

what ratio did you decide on?

US gear seems pretty okay to me, I used them a while back, been using motive gear as a second choice to dana spicer...but my recent gearsets, 5.13's and now 5.38's have all been motive.

I got the lowest gear I could 4.56 I wanted 5.38 but no go on the 8.25 in the back. I hope to have someone helping me on the install.

It will be after I expect at least a week after so you can see my 3.55s kick people who use lower gears ass. :bs:

azxjman said:
It will be after I expect at least a week after so you can see my 3.55s kick people who use lower gears ass. :bs:

LOL, big time!

I was hoping I got to see the show!

:D

hinkley

AZ, even though you are gonna try to have someone install the gears, have a look at west coast differentials and randys for thier tech sections.

azxjman said:
I am sure this is a stupid question but I am ordering the gears off the net and it has the gears by U.S. gear are these good gears? Also they have complete rebuild kits to do I need these or not? Should the gears come with the shims to do the install? And is there anything else I should know before I install these finally?

Typically if you buy a ring and pinion set, they do not come with shims. Its just the pinion gear and the ring gear. You want to get a master install kit in addition to the gears. The master install kit will have all new bearings, shims, and some gear marking compound.

When doing the gears in the front end, replace the inner axleshaft seals. They are adjacent to the carrier bearings and since you will have the carrier out anyways, its a good time to replace them. You can also replace the rear axleshaft seals and or bearings since you will have the axleshafts out. The rear seals are easier to do than the fronts.

As B said, its a good idea to check out Randys and west coast diffs site for the tech pages. It helped me out when I did mine:)

Good Luck,

AARON

Back