• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally Finished my First lift

i went 2" w/o a problem, if your still using stock LCA's the LCA's will hit before your brake lines fully extend, and if your still worried about them coming up short, you could simply unbolt them and relocate them lower.

i didnt need longer brake lines until i put on my 4.5" coils and aftermarket LCA's, im still running 3" longer shocks and when i just unbolted the hoses from the fenderwell and fulled extended, they didnt get stretched out like i had expected them to, the shocks topped out first.

im not saying to not get new brake lines, all im saying is if moneys tight and you cant afford the extra 100 bucks on brake lines then you can simply relocate your stock lines lower and more forward.
My rear brake line is really close to taut with my 2" OME lift even when sitting level - the 1995 YJ rear brake line I got from AutoZone cost me $15.99. Two front brake lines will cost ten to fifteen bucks each also, figure a total of 45 dollars. I probably could get away with using the stock brake line for a while but I've had two brake lines pop on me already (one luckily while I was sitting in the driveway with my foot on the pedal) and so I'm just a little paranoid about them now.

Note - also be careful on your front bleeder valves if you do replace the brake lines, the fronts require a 3/8 wrench while the rears require an 8mm wrench, the fronts are usually in really tight so use a 6-point socket to loosen them before using a wrench to actually bleed, they are far too easy to round off.

My rear brake line is really close to taut with my 2" OME lift even when sitting level - the 1995 YJ rear brake line I got from AutoZone cost me $15.99. Two front brake lines will cost ten to fifteen bucks each also, figure a total of 45 dollars. I probably could get away with using the stock brake line for a while but I've had two brake lines pop on me already (one luckily while I was sitting in the driveway with my foot on the pedal) and so I'm just a little paranoid about them now.

Note - also be careful on your front bleeder valves if you do replace the brake lines, the fronts require a 3/8 wrench while the rears require an 8mm wrench, the fronts are usually in really tight so use a 6-point socket to loosen them before using a wrench to actually bleed, they are far too easy to round off.

haha this would of been more useful before we resorted to vise grip's to break it loose lol only needed to do 1 front the other one came loose just fine.

and i have a set of procomp stainless yj brakes, and when we were bleeding my brakes 1 actually broke and popped just like yours did while sitting in the driveway. so im running 1 stocker and 1 stainless until the other comes in to replace my stocker.

I should have been more clear - my metal lines popped :shocked: they were just so darn rusty that there was almost nothing left. Darn rust belt states...

My rubber lines have not blown up yet, but I've replaced the two front ones (need to replace them again with YJ lines as soon as I finish my lift... sigh) due to paranoia and will be replacing my rear one tonight, the YJ line is sitting there waiting... I also had yet another metal line break while I was doing the rear lift last weekend, I dropped a socket wrench and it split the line right by the rear right drum brake in half. Luckily I already had a steel line I had formed to the right shape waiting to be installed, so it wasn't a big deal. I now have approximately four feet of OEM brake line remaining on the entire vehicle... all in the engine bay with minor surface flaking (whitish, not rust), and even that is too much.

</derail>

i have that brake line that goes from the front to the rear completly rusted up, i need to replace it sometime soon before it breaks and my brakes stop working lol

That was the first one that blew up on me - right at the bend going from the bottom of the car to the section going up the firewall. Resulted in me buying about a thousand dollars worth of parts, paint, and tools. The next one (which blew up in my driveway) was the one from the rear axle distribution block to the left wheel. I replaced the rusty sections of both front hard lines before they blew up.

Back