• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally caged the mall crawler.

ok i have a legitimate ? for you guys with EXPERIENCE. i have heard that some guys use a cage to stiffen up the body rather than installing frame stiffeners. or before installing the f.s.. so how does welding the cage to tie into the piss thin stock frame rails benefit over bolting to the floor. i doesnt make much sense to me. i would like to think that welding to the stock f.r. would only fatigue it and cause a weak point. i have only experienced working on sandcars. this whole welding cages to sheet metal is new to me... let the schooling begin.

plate the uniframe before attaching the cage or anything else for that matter. Also in doing this if you plate it for some distance make frame stiffer and stronger

Last edited:
ok i have a legitimate ? for you guys with EXPERIENCE. i have heard that some guys use a cage to stiffen up the body rather than installing frame stiffeners. or before installing the f.s.. so how does welding the cage to tie into the piss thin stock frame rails benefit over bolting to the floor. i doesnt make much sense to me. i would like to think that welding to the stock f.r. would only fatigue it and cause a weak point. i have only experienced working on sandcars. this whole welding cages to sheet metal is new to me... let the schooling begin.

I actually understood you for the 1st time ever.

I actually understood you for the 1st time ever.

good thing you answered his question then :twak:

:kissyou:

but anyway.. bails- I have not built a cage, but the guys that I know who are running them in their unibody rigs plated the unibody before tying it into the body.

they guys that I know who are running framed/body vehicles with a custom cage used poly bushings between the frame and cage to cut down on vibration and allow the body and frame to move independently.

the reason i asked is because i havent yet installed any type of stiffenening in my jeep. every time i mention stiffeners people always say just put a cage in plating the uniframe is a PITA.

I never should have sold her! I miss her so freaking much!!!! Sorry to bump an old thread but wondering what other work you've done to her? Any more pics??

Back