• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fender Trimming

ec_3000

NAXJA Forum User
For anybody that has trimmed your fenders to fit bigger tires... Is it worth trimming just to fit them or is it better to go with a bigger lift and is it difficult to trim them? I am running a Rough Country 3" lift w/ 31x10.5's and I had to cut the lower tips of my fender flares off so they wouldn't rub. But eventually I plan on going w/ a 6-8" Skyjacker, w/ 33's. Should I just leave the fenders alone, or go ahead and trim them?

If you have any pics of fender trimming it would help if I could see them. Thanks

I just finished my fronts. I think it's well worth it because I'd rather get more lift from the tires and keep my center of gravity low. I also think the XJ rides better with less lift unless you go all out with an expensive lift (long-arm or drop brackets). Cutting is easy, bending everything back nicely if you go that route is a pain. I bent everything over because I didn't want to cut the tires if they still hit. You can chop the stock flares and move them up and they look pretty cool. Bushwacker makes some that aren't bad too, but I couldn't swallow that much money just for flares. I did mine pretty much like Dave in this picture http://myweb.cableone.net/twizum007/Rubicon/pages/Rubicon_116.htm

It is definately worth it. Keep the CG low for stability. Trimming is easy you just bust out the cutting tool of your choice and start cutting. TJ flares can clear 33's on 3"of lift easily. The rear takes more though/effort because if you cut enough to seperate the seem you will need to weld it back together.

definately trim it! at 7" and 33s, i creased my front fenders stuffing my tires in them before i cut them out. It is so much better wheeling without worrying about your tires trying to remove your flares. That and xj's (and mj's) look way better with cut fenders and no flares!

fender trimming

I just trimmed the fenders on my 89 XJ and now I wonder why I didnt do it sooner. The front was pretty easy, I just followed the line of the flare and it turned out pretty good. The rear was a little more conservative, I cut just below the pinch weld to keep the body intact. I have 9"of lift and run 36x12.50 swampers and I can flex them pretty good!

Go ahead and trim. Take your time, and use a good, high quality jig saw. I had great results with a DeWalt Jigsaw. Pics in the sig. :)

ec_3000 said:
For anybody that has trimmed your fenders to fit bigger tires... Is it worth trimming just to fit them or is it better to go with a bigger lift and is it difficult to trim them? I am running a Rough Country 3" lift w/ 31x10.5's and I had to cut the lower tips of my fender flares off so they wouldn't rub. But eventually I plan on going w/ a 6-8" Skyjacker, w/ 33's. Should I just leave the fenders alone, or go ahead and trim them?

If you have any pics of fender trimming it would help if I could see them. Thanks

What is the rush? You have a 3" lift with 31's. You probably didn't need to trim with that set up. Then you want to put a 6-8" lift with 33's. You won't need much trimming with that either. If I was willing to trim my Jeep all up and was going as high as you want to I certainly would run 35's. You can always trim, but you can't put it back. Take your time.

Curt

Re: Re: Fender Trimming

h.curtis said:
What is the rush? You have a 3" lift with 31's. You probably didn't need to trim with that set up. Then you want to put a 6-8" lift with 33's. You won't need much trimming with that either. If I was willing to trim my Jeep all up and was going as high as you want to I certainly would run 35's. You can always trim, but you can't put it back. Take your time.

Well... with ~3.5" and 31" I have had to trim as I pulled my fender in with the tire when I stuffed! A nicely trimmed fender will be a good start towards going bigger and will give more room for the tires even at the current setup.

I had some nasty fender rubbing issues with a 3" and 31's, then I upgraded to a 4", same problem when flexing... The trimming is simple, just make sure to trim the inside of the fender and not go too far to where you will see the trimmings without sticking your head up in there...

I'm investigating this right now. Philosophically, I think lifts are necessary evils and fender trimming is far preferable to a bigger lift because of the center-of-gravity thing, not to mention the various problems with vibes you have as you get taller. As I see it, a lift does nothing for you performance-wise except let you run bigger tires, so if you can do the same thing with fender trimming you get the same benefit without the disadvantages. I'd like to go to 32" tires with only a 2" lift, but it has to stay street legal so I don't know if it's possible yet. I'm still trying to learn how to factor in extended bump stops, backspacing and tire width. But if it does work, a jeep with a 2" inch lift and 32" tires is going to perform better than one with a 4" inch lift and 32" tires, plus be cheaper and better on the street. The only possible disadvantage to trimming that I know of is resale value - you can't unlift it and put it back like stock.

92xjsp-

2"s and 32's is exactly where I want to go as well, I'm thinking 1" spacer (already have spacer), 5.2 ZJ coils (not up country) in front, then in back a Dakota leaf pack and MJ shackles should put me at 2"s all around, hack as much fender as possible with retaining dignified look and cover with TJ flares. Tranny drop if neccesary (cheap) then toss 32's on stock rims. also fabbing front and rear bumper and rear swing out tire mount. all on a 97, do you or anyone else have an opinion on this set-up?

How to Cut

Should I cut right where the flare meets the body or cut a bit below that and fold it over? If I leave a sharp edge it seems to me that it could be hard on tires, but I removed one of my factory flares and there is not a folded edge there already.

Robert

Re: How to Cut

XJWheelie said:
Should I cut right where the flare meets the body or cut a bit below that and fold it over? If I leave a sharp edge it seems to me that it could be hard on tires, but I removed one of my factory flares and there is not a folded edge there already.

Robert

This depends on what yo uwant to do afterwards... I put on tj flares so I was able to cut way up from the fender bend.... also I cut less then the opening was supposed ot be for the tj flares, then I bent up the fender sideways to reinforce the shape/opening..... try searching this forum for tj flares and you should come up with quite a few posts with pics..... . if that's not the way you want to go, you need to think about what will you do, after trimming...

I am also probably going to be trimming my fenders, but I live in New England where they dont hold back on road salt at all during the winter. My body is real clean right now with no rust. What could I do to ensure they stay reasonably rust free after trimming them?

Back