• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeler- Looking for an ax-15, or NV3550

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
Just throwing this out there... Looking for a 97-99 ax-15, or 2000-2001 NV3550. Will pay decent money if the history/condition is known. Not looking to rebuild it.
Reason- Sick of the aw4. Mine slips occasionally so I know it'll need to be swapped sometime anyway. I already have the clutch pedal/brake assembly for my 01 xj. Any leads on a part out, trans, or other parts would be awesome.

I've always wanted a manual trans jeep, and my rig is mostly an expo setup, used for long distance forest road/exploration stuff. I rock crawl like barely...twice a year so the automatic isn't appealing or fun for me.

Getting to drive new JK's with the 6 speed really stoked my desire for a manual... damn it

Columbus

Why a 97-99 ax15? If you're after the external slave, they were available from 94 on. And if you can source the external bell housing from a 4.0 jeep, the ax15 was also in 2.5l Dakotas but with a different bell housing.

And I totally miss my manual. So much more fun to drive around as long as it wasn't constant stop and go.

if you are going manual consider looking for a used 241-OR. Did the rubicon 6 speeds have a granny first gear? what about one of those?

Oh you're right. I forgot the 94's had the external also.

The issue with anything from a wrangler is that I think the clocking for the case is different.

I swapped in a NV3550 out of a 01 TJ into my XJ many years ago. It has a slightly lower first gear than the AX-15. Since yours is an 01 I would suggest going with the NV3550. Everything will bolt right up including the master/slave assy specific to the NV. I had to modify my clutch pedal for the longer throw of the newer style clutch master cylinder. I assume you may have similar issues going backwards if you want to use off the shelf parts without mixing and matching parts.

As for the 6 speed, not a good transmission in my opinion. I have rebuilt/repaired many of the 6 speeds, and only 1 of the NV 3550s.

I swapped in a NV3550 out of a 01 TJ into my XJ many years ago. It has a slightly lower first gear than the AX-15. Since yours is an 01 I would suggest going with the NV3550. Everything will bolt right up including the master/slave assy specific to the NV. I had to modify my clutch pedal for the longer throw of the newer style clutch master cylinder. I assume you may have similar issues going backwards if you want to use off the shelf parts without mixing and matching parts.

As for the 6 speed, not a good transmission in my opinion. I have rebuilt/repaired many of the 6 speeds, and only 1 of the NV 3550s.

this is very good to know. I test drove a MJ crawler on CL a while back with the NV3550 and the first gear seemed noticeably lower than my old 5 speed in my 92 XJ.

Thanks for the info Bryan! I've heard the same thing about the 6 speed.. synchro issues I think?

As far as the NV3550... That is the trans I want. I'd like to keep things more original so it makes sense to swap the 3550 into an 01 since that is what they offered.
Question for you- There was no issue coming from a TJ? Am I confused about the clocking thing? I'd gladly go for a TJ trans... I'm sure they're easier to get.

Thanks for the info Bryan! I've heard the same thing about the 6 speed.. synchro issues I think?

As far as the NV3550... That is the trans I want. I'd like to keep things more original so it makes sense to swap the 3550 into an 01 since that is what they offered.
Question for you- There was no issue coming from a TJ? Am I confused about the clocking thing? I'd gladly go for a TJ trans... I'm sure they're easier to get.

Only problem was i couldn't use the TJ shifter and shift tower. The shifter itself was bent wrong and the tower placed the shifter too far back into the shifter opening in the center console. Had to buy an xj specific shfter from the dealer. Considering how much i paid for it I should have bought a hurst or other short throw shifter for it.for it.

Not sure about the clocking really. I swapped in my atlas at the same time which i clocked to fit fit the spqce without cutting the floor.

Not sure if this helpe but for reference i found this pic of the trans.
standard.jpg

Thanks for the info. Given those issues I'll continue to look for an xj unit.

I'm so stupid... 6 or 7 months ago there was a 2001 xj at the junkyard here that had an nv3550. I grabbed the clutch pedal assembly... but nothing else. I was broke at the time, I should have just grabbed all the parts and put it on my credit card. Live and learn.

Wanna donate your rail shifter to me? haha.
Hope you find what you need.

Back