• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Favorite/Most Reliable Parts Manufacturers

tjrJeep

NAXJA Forum User
To all -

I recently acquired a solid '88 Cherokee Laredo 4.0I6 and have begun the process of going through and making a list of the things that will need to be replaced and worked on to continue its life. This is my first Jeep, though not my first old vehicle, and I plan on doing much of the work myself.

I am hoping to get a sense from those in the know what the best and most reliable OE Jeep parts manufacturers are. In my research I have come across many, including: MSD, Standard Motor Parts, Crown, ACDelco, Airtex, Dorman, among many others; yet I have had difficulty finding reviews of the parts and manufacturer's quality.

While this is obviously a broad subject, I am hoping to get a sense of some of the companies people turn to for quality and longevity, or avoid all-together, and also where people find the best deals on parts they need (online or in store).

I appreciate your help and knowledge!

The highest quality parts are from the dealer but not always. Most other parts have their leaders for that specific part or category. The names you listed are all hit or miss, buy them sometimes avoid them others.

Dorman is the distributor for many of the house branded parts out there (AutoZone, Pep Boys, Shucks &'c) In the past when I wanted something above the usual Chinese junk I went to NAPA, BUT when I went to exchange my "Assembled in U.S.A.", life time water pump last month the new one NAPA was "Made in China" . . .

For the parts that wear out I shop around.
For parts like sensors, switches, glass, instrument clusters, Ford fuel injectors and other bits that may still be fine, I go to the local "pull-your-part" Junk Yard, get 2 or 3 of what I need and swap them in.

And, welcome to NAXJA!

As for manufacturers,...

Timken bearings & seals
Spicer u-joints
Wix filters
Fel-pro gaskets & seals
NGK plugs

I am a huge and unapolagetic Dorman fan when it comes to anything hydraulic. When they say OE fit, they *mean* it.

Napa parts are great.

For steering-
I got a zj v8 tie rod from autozone, along with a new end. I smacked it on a rock last saturday, but it's got a lifetime warrenty, so Im getting a new one tomorrow. I think it's developed slop, also, so it'll be better. Sweet!

Autozone has been very cool about it.

Dana for all stock replacement driveline parts, U-joints, R&P, Bearings, etc...
I would go Bilstein on shocks, but have heard good things about Old Man Emu

I have had consistent, excellent service from Summitracing.com. They're prices are good and anything I order is at my door 2 days later.

Also, craigslist has tons of deals on jeep parts. I would consider swapping out your stock Dana 35 rear axle for a 8.25 rear axle from a later XJ. It's a bolt in swap and absolutely worth it.

I have had consistent, excellent service from Summitracing.com. They're prices are good and anything I order is at my door 2 days later.

Also, craigslist has tons of deals on jeep parts. I would consider swapping out your stock Dana 35 rear axle for a 8.25 rear axle from a later XJ. It's a bolt in swap and absolutely worth it.

A better option is a Dana 44 from an 87 XJ with a tow packeage, also a bolt in. They are readily available from Pick n Pull for under $200.

Summit racing's good. Jeggs is pretty good to, but pricey.

And 'can't forget: Dillon Precision for reloading equipment. Best in the world.

FYI, I know some people crap on certain Crown parts, but many of the parts carried are original suppliers for Chrysler, all inner driveline is Spicer, Timken, and much of the rest is made in USA when it comes to hard parts. Many of the parts are even repackaged and sold to big name companies with high reputations and no one ever knows they're rebadged parts from them.

Sent you a pm as you're local.

hub/bearing assy- MIbearings.com they use timken bearings
NAPA "precision" (federal mogul) greasable u-joints
most anything made in USA if you can find it (google "part x Made in usa")

Bosch for fuel pumps.

Don't forget Neapco brute force u-joints are also very good

Awesome list guys - thanks for your help... I've been doing some digging over the past few days with the parts I am replacing (just a tune-up). It's interesting that many parts companies start to run together...

Napa:
- Filters made by WIX (http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.html#fram)
- Engine management parts distributed by Motorcraft, made by Echlin (http://www.answers.com/topic/echlin-inc). Started in the U.S. it is now an international corporation with factories in Mexico and many other countries. Echlin, apparently also started and markets Accel.

Many chain auto parts use Standard Motor Products, or a subsidiary such as BWD (Autozone) or Blue Streak. A massive corporation that seems to make much of everything overseas.
- http://www.standardbrand.com/Welcome%20to%20Standard-About%20Us/Content.aspx
- http://www.bwdbrand.com/Welcome to BWD-About Us/Content.aspx

My local parts company uses Wells for engine management components, a smaller U.S. based corporation with factories in Mexico.
- http://www.wellsmfgcorp.com/index.html

Keep the companies coming, I will start to put together a list for others to use as reference as well.

Best,
TR

Standard parts are okay but they have their moments too. I bought all Standard sensors when I did my engine swap a couple of years ago and have replaced two of them (O2 sensor pigtail did not fit well, and temp gauge sender was off by 20 degrees). They have a third-tier product line in the "True Tech" stuff--never buy a Standard part with a number that ends in "T" because that's the marker for their "value" line

I thought BWD was Bosch-Warner

Wells used to be the Autozone cheapo brand

Back