• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch

all the water pumps for the 4.0 suck.
You literally cannot buy a made in the USA waterpump. I know because I looked and called manufacturers for two days after I replaced the 18 month old parts chain one.

So just get used to doing them frequently because the chinese bearings suck.

If you're doing the hoses, buy them on rock auto when you buy the clutch. Literally 1/3 the price of parts store prices. I bought all Gates stuff for my new MJ and wasn't disappointed. I've not used anything but stant Superstats in a long long time and I've never had a thermostat problem.
this was the rock auto haul for me.
IMG954788_zpslxzapvkb.jpg

You literally cannot buy a made in the USA waterpump. I know because I looked and called manufacturers for two days after I replaced the 18 month old parts chain one.

If you're doing the hoses, buy them on rock auto when you buy the clutch. Literally 1/3 the price of parts store prices. I bought all Gates stuff for my new MJ and wasn't disappointed. I've not used anything but stant Superstats in a long long time and I've never had a thermostat problem.
this was the rock auto haul for me.
IMG954788_zpslxzapvkb.jpg

You can still get 4.0 waterpumps from the dealer that are mopar.

Not sure if made in the USA, but they are the only waterpump I would ever run.

What about Hesco?
Pricey but well built with a machined impeller. It looks and feels like a high quality piece, compared to the normal Chinese pumps.
I installed one, five or six years ago, when the original pump started leaking. It still spins smoothly by hand and is tight.
Maybe it wasn't so expensive after all.
http://www.hesco.us/products/7544/h...ee-and-comanche-high-flow-water-pump-hf58-455

What about Hesco?
Pricey but well built with a machined impeller. It looks and feels like a high quality piece, compared to the normal Chinese pumps.
I installed one, five or six years ago, when the original pump started leaking. It still spins smoothly by hand and is tight.
Maybe it wasn't so expensive after all.
http://www.hesco.us/products/7544/h...ee-and-comanche-high-flow-water-pump-hf58-455

what about a flow kooler? whats the general consensus on those?

I talked with both.They use castings and parts from another country.
Perhaps Hesco is using higher quality bearings, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay that much for a water pump. Maybe the next time I will, we'll see how long this gates one lasts.

When replacing the thermostat, drill a 1/8" relief hole
in it to equalize pressure and prevent air voids. Some
stats come with this hole, some don't.

After replacing my stock fan clutch with a (stock)
Hayden, the Jeep ran at a very steady temperature.
Before, it would heat up slightly going up hills and
sitting in heavy traffic. I believe the viscous fluid
in these clutches wear out over time, and cause a
more than normal slippage. So just replacing the
clutch with another of the same type will help in
cooling...

195 is stock.

stant superstat.
the regular stants aren't as hardily constructed. Worth the two dollars for the super stat. Last one I bought did not come with a gasket, so get that too. They used to come with gaskets :(

Two summers ago I built a new engine for my XJ. I put in a HD radiator, Mopar water pump, Gates Hoses, 195deg Stant Superstat and a ZJ HD fan clutch from Napa. My XJ has been through 2 summers now, tons of slow driving, towing, and mountains - never runs warm @ all, 190-210deg no matter what. The ZJ clutch is a bit noisy, but it works.

Back