• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch Replacement

Someone can bone in here if I am wrong. When the engine is cold the fan should spin very easy on the fan clutch, as the engine warms up it should start stiffing up. Bring the car up to operating temperature, turn off the engine, do not stick anything in the fan while its on, not a good idea. Wjth the the engine warm, and off, the fan should not spin easy, it should feel locked up. If it spins say one full turn, the clutch is bad. I had the same problem a week ago, the problem way my radiator was 75% plugged. I only had 30,000 miles on it. Did the repair place give you a NEW radiator, or a core? I was running in the 220-240F range. I had the radiator rodded and put in a 185* thermostat. It now runs below the 210* and I can crank the AC, its great... Good Luck
Sean

"First I want to thank my mother and father" Seriously I want to thank everyone who has chimed in here. You have been a great help in helping me better understand what is going on. The problem I now have is that the outdoor temp has cooled down and the vehicle won't overheat under those circumstances. Add to that, being that this still could be an insurance related issue I have to be careful what i do here. I already crossed the line by installing a fan clutch myself. It realistically could be that the fan clutch went bad over the winter when it was not needed and coincidently now appears to be the result of the accident as the weather has warmed. I am taking it next week to a mechanic that the body shop uses to diagnose such problems for insurance claim reimbursements. We've had a cold spot in the weather here so its prudent to wait. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again.

Ontop of everything else now, the oil pressure guage seems to drop the longer I drive the vehicle. This is not the original oil pressure sensor since a clumsy oil change guy destryed the original one, and I have no clue if it is aftermarket and failing or it is really telling me something I should be paying attention to. Arghh!!!

Well tell us what its doing. Its normal for it to drop as the vehicle warms up. Its also normal for it to be lower at idle than cruising. Mine for instance is only at 35 or so when idling and 55 or so when cruising and mine is a lot higher than some Jeeps with higher mileage than mine

After the engine is good and hot the guage reads 20 at idle and 40 at cruising speed. I don't ever remember it being that low. TIA

Back