• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch Delema?

I called up carquest and they said thy stock the hayden one but can order the carquest brand one aswell as a acdelco one. My question is which one do i need ?? anyone have a model/item number/part number ?

I noticed mine was leaking and the engine getting hot about a year ago. I just pulled it off, boarded a bus to the autopart store, brought it in and got the right one. PartsPlus had a nice OEM one for around $40. Yes I know that store is few and far between.

Just a tip, when your checking a fan clutch for resistance, check it on a hot motor and stand right there, pop the hood (don´t stand there with the hood open, you want it as warm as possible) and give it a spin as soon as it stops turning, as you spin it, will get easier to turn fast (silicon settles). Centrifigal force is part of the resistance, the silicon or whatever they are filled with, flies to the outside of the clutch, adding to the resistance.
I put a clutch in from an 88 Chev. K1500 5.7 ltr, fit fine and has a larger diameter, designed for a bigger blade. I had it on the shelf, it was worth a try and worked well. I only have a two row radiator, on a three row, things would get really tight, not much clearance.

Just a tip, when your checking a fan clutch for resistance, check it on a hot motor and stand right there, pop the hood (don´t stand there with the hood open, you want it as warm as possible) and give it a spin

Be sure to turn the motor off before performing this test. Had a finger of mine go under between the belt & pulley (power steering) once on a blazer. But you should also check if your clutch has an oily buildup around the center or like the fluid is leaking out or the spring is broken than definetly replace it.

Downside to running full time is horsepower used to drive it.

There is no good way to test the clutch. If temp is rising as described, I would simply replace it. I went through the whole system before replacing mine because i "tested" it and thought it was good when it wasn't. If you don't use distilled water in your system and you have a lot of mile, you should replace the rad. Mine was 30% plugged.

Replacing the clutch is just as effective and cheeper than retro an electric one. Do a search on the subject and you will find a lot of people have installed electric and gone back. Finding an electric one with the correct air flow is not likely.

Cooling problems are an indication of the need for maintenance. I bought my 90 new and towed a 19Ft travel trailer for a couple of years here in the northwest where we have mountains and didn't have any problems with cooling. It was after 70 to 80K miles that the cooling issues started showing up. Returning to stock with new parts will work, even with the designed cooling system that is near its margin of operation (needs more frontal radiator area, not just rows).

Well to the person asked if it fixed my prob i should say it majorly helped . When i idle at a pick up window or a laggy signal light my needle climbs past the middle a small bit, not enough to wory about. When i am driving tho i am usually at half or lower.

Tho i wish i could have it stay at half at all times.

pete

What was the CarQuest part #? I need to get a new one for my Cherokee. Quick question: Could a bad fan clutch cause enough drag on the belt that he laternator might not fully charge the battery? My voltmeter runs pretty low at times. It dropped way down all day yesterday, but then this morning I got in started it up and turned on the headlights and it was just a tick below 14, where it's always sat...

I just replaced mine in my 95 with one from Autozone for $52 or so. Works great/ fit fine. real tight fit putting in between rad. Huge diff in cooling at idle and low speeds
Testing one is a waste it seems. unless you turn the shaft, not the fan you`ll never know. I intentionally used a heat gun to the point of melting the silicone seal in front and it still wouldent lock up right. but yet if you turned it after it sat cold it would be very stiff to turn. you also would hear it somewhat on cold startups. Now you can clearly hear the fan engage when it heats up. you cant get mine hot idleing in 100+ days. Now if I could just fix the high speed heating problem. $52 is cheap insurance IMO.

jeepsrock said:
I called up carquest and they said thy stock the hayden one but can order the carquest brand one aswell as a acdelco one. My question is which one do i need ?? anyone have a model/item number/part number ?

Also the acdelco one is 65$ is this right ?

pete

I wouldn't recommend the Carquest one, I got two of them that were bad and since then I've heard of other people getting bad ones too. I should have spent the extra money the first time and got the dealer one. I ended up getting one from the dealership and it was like night and day difference.

Well alt xj you are making me dout if mine is working or not since i still get hot every once in a while at idle with the cq one , like i said above?

THe acdelco one didnt work and the autozone one didnt work either as they were tight fits. I dont have the carquest number but it came in their brand box (i think blue and red), i am guessing if mine was completly dead the car would overheat.

Pete

Well, its like this. Mine would run really warm in traffic (230) without the A/C on. When I turned the A/C on the auxillary fan would kick in and would keep it from gettting hotter and even cool it back down after a while. Well, since litterally everything in my XJs cooling system was new I knew it had to be the fan clutch. It had resistance when you turned it but that much not much whether you turned it when hot or cold. Well, since it was under warranty I decided to swap it out with another one. I put in another one and it seemed better at first but it still would heat up at idle after a while. I tried everything since everything in the system was brand new including a brand new Modine radiator. I burped the system a bunch of times, I replaced the temperature sensor at the back of the head, and I ever went as far as replacing the actual gauge. Well, I talked with a guy I know that works at a radiator shop and he said that the Carquest clutches are garbage and are defective all the time. So I sucked it up and spent the $90 at the dealer and got another one and its like night and day difference. It never goes past 200 degrees in traffic whether or not I have the A/C on or not. Sometimes dealer parts are your best bet.

Same exact situation here with that CQ fan clutch ?..I guess i will wait a yr or so and then replace it with a dealer one....i spend 60 some dollars on the CQ one and i just cant cough up another 90 now. Tho thanx for the advice , was the stock one a bit smaller than the cq one.

pete

Back