• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Falling out of love with XJ rant

CLOISER

NAXJA Forum User
Just got back from Atlanta. My total trip was 254 miles, I burnt through 16 gallons. That's just under 16 MPG. I got a 5-speed 4x4 (stock upcountry, Aussie front, forgot to mention I do have a bike rack on top and moose guard up front), just put in new cat, new muffler. This probably wouldn't bother me (I don't expect much better from the Cherokee) but the other day I drove a 2008 Dodge 1500 quad cab 2WD with 450+lb in the bed. Cruised at 75MPH ~2000RPM, I could hear myself think, didn't notice the payload (even stopping), and got better mileage VS my unloaded Jeep.

Anyhow I'm starting to realize how dated the Cherokee really is. I'm guessing most vehicles have progressed 2 generations since the Cherokee was phased out, and 3 generations since my '98 rolled out. I love my Cherokee, but WJs are looking better and better everyday...

Anybody else falling out of love? :rattle:

Only people I brought this up with were my mother & GF, the mom has hated the Jeep since I brought it home :laugh2: and the GF likes it until she has to ride in it :laugh2:

Last edited:
Wait... You bought a Jeep for mileage?

Well theres yer problem...

Ya, 19 highway out of the box man!

When I was 19 (when I bought it) & in college it seemed really nice and reasonable. But now that I'm growing up it's starting to become more and more ridiculous (though I haven't stopped throwing money at it :roll:). The ride quality (loud, bouncy), fuel efficiency (nobody is getting 20MPG, if you are, you're dividing wrong), limited capability (low payload, no towing, etcetera) are really dated. I wish Jeep had a comparable vehicle these days cause I hate the JK, KJ, other new models I don't know the names of :laugh2: . Maybe I'm trying to justify moving on...oh well. I think I'll either have to get a second car (like many of the adults on here), or try to find a solid substitute.

Last edited:
I was falling out of mine until I swapped in the stroker.

The MJ is starting to get boring as well, but I have an LSx swapped planned for later this summer which should improve performance and mileage.

you obviously haven't been wheeling enough...

19 hwy is good for a 4WD vehicle. If you want mileage, get rid of the extra crap you put on yours.

Somebody's angry...but seriously, maybe I'm the only one falling out of love...

I'm gonna say the main competitor to the XJ that still exists is the 4Runner and that gets 22MPG highway, come on man H2s (did) get 19MPG! I just got a major love-hate relationship with the Cherokee: love (looks great, off-road ability, great on camping trips) hate (on-road is horrible, loud, limited towing, only fits 2 "comfortably"). This topic is gonna turn into a major :flame: -er in a moment as I've seemed to pull on some heart strings.

I need a second car!

I was falling out of mine until I swapped in the stroker.

The MJ is starting to get boring as well, but I have an LSx swapped planned for later this summer which should improve performance and mileage.

Wow, be sure to post pictures. I don't see any of that in my Jeep's future though :roll:

hahaha the only way I justify my pigs road manners is by its capability off road! It does ride smoother then stock with the LA and OME shocks tho!

If I had a stock cherokee I would have sold it a long time ago!

hahaha the only way I justify my pigs road manners is by its capability off road! It does ride smoother then stock with the LA and OME shocks tho!

If I had a stock cherokee I would have sold it a long time ago!

ya, maybe just need to throw some more money at it :yelclap: . I don't spend nearly as much money on my Jeep as others on this board. It's got a front locker, full skids, rear trac lock, and when I had a winch up front it could probably follow most lifted unlocked Cherokees.

Where you from in NY? Saw the plate.

Last edited:
I love my XJ's, all 5 of them. My Hemi Commander gets better mileage than the XJ's do but I wont sell them. They are what they are, a brick with a antique inline six in it. When the Commander dies in 15 years the bricks will still be running right along. You can't put a price tag on dependability.

Some folks are not cut out for XJ ownership, those folks should buy a Prius or something like that.

come on man H2s (did) get 19MPG!

Haha, yeah sure they did! :D

Seriously though. Its an XJ they aren't really that comfortable. they make tons of noises and they have the aerodynamics of a brick!

That said mine isn't going anywhere! :D

I love my XJ's, all 5 of them. My Hemi Commander gets better mileage than the XJ's do but I wont sell them. They are what they are, a brick with a antique inline six in it. When the Commander dies in 15 years the bricks will still be running right along. You can't put a price tag on dependability.

Some folks are not cut out for XJ ownership, those folks should buy a Prius or something like that.

:laugh2: I'm pretty sure the XJ was designed as a mall cruiser, you're making it sound like a flat-fender! But it's true, the I6 is a monster and tough as nails. Still surprises people when they see under the hood.

Haha, yeah sure they did! :D

Seriously though. Its an XJ they aren't really that comfortable. they make tons of noises and they have the aerodynamics of a brick!

That said mine isn't going anywhere! :D

Come on, I got that from B Obama's site. He wouldn't mislead the people.

I don't think I have the heart to let it go either, just ranting. Looking to pickup an Impala for long drives & travels. Except to the beach, the Cherokee loves the beach!

Back