• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Failed "Low CG" Build

Thanks for the info guys. Here's the new plan of attack
JKS acos, Iron man adjustable short arms and adjustable shackle to go around 3 in lift
Push the front axle forward 2 inches
Start smashing the crap out of that hump in the front of the fender :firedevil

If you just adjust your lowers and don't address the uppers (by the same amount), then it'll screw up your caster. Sorry, thems the breaks.

Sorry, I read that as iron man lowers for some reason.

Your rubbing because the tires stick out too far. You need more backspacing (make the track narrower); 4.25 would be about right. Think about it; with the wheels turned full lock, your inside tire is set farther back than stock with the backspacing you have. If you went back to stock backspacing, you wouldn't hit the inner fender, but you would hit the control arm. You have to find the right balance.

care to explain a little more? not real sure im reading what your saying correctly because it just sounds wrong...

put the tires on your stock rims (7.5") and all will be good.
pushing the wheels away from the hub... when turning makes them arc rather than pivot, thus requiring more room in the wheel well.

by your logic you would need something with zero offset, no matter the rim width. stock rim is 7" wide... not 7.5". and with 5.25" of backspacing (stock) it will rub. please read:
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
nope... you're thinking the right way but forgetting that the balljoints and wheel mounting surface are not on the same plane. They're something like 3-4" apart iirc.

Moving to more backspacing will make the control arms rub. Moving to less will mean a bigger cutout in the fender. Finding the right balance is where the trouble comes in, and where it's entirely up to you. I simply bought rims that made it possible for me to use the same ones on all 4 corners with an 8.8 in the back (narrower track than stock) and then clearanced and cut sheetmetal till it worked.

Something I have to question...and maybe I missed someone else already asking this...BUT how much sag do your springs have?

a 2" BB isn't going to give you 2" of lift over stock unless your springs are still at stock height.

Had I put a 2" BB on my XJ with the stock springs I would be rubbing with the 30's I am currently running. BUT I put springs in front and rear that got me about 2-2.5" over STOCK height and I can probably clear 31's with minor trimming and with a full trim job 33's would probably be no trouble.

Just some thoughts.

It's 140k, so it's definitely sagging some. The arc concept with more backspacing makes sense to me but i'll have to do some measuring. Since I just got the alloy wheels, I think they're going to stay.

Got the ACOS this week and the control arms/shackles are on the way.

Something I have to question...and maybe I missed someone else already asking this...BUT how much sag do your springs have?

a 2" BB isn't going to give you 2" of lift over stock unless your springs are still at stock height.

Had I put a 2" BB on my XJ with the stock springs I would be rubbing with the 30's I am currently running. BUT I put springs in front and rear that got me about 2-2.5" over STOCK height and I can probably clear 31's with minor trimming and with a full trim job 33's would probably be no trouble.

Just some thoughts.
30s on stock backspacing will fit at stock height with no rubbing issues. first hand experience. (my suspension on that vehicles wasnt sagged out though. results may differ) but i never rubbed on the control arms.
It's 140k, so it's definitely sagging some. The arc concept with more backspacing makes sense to me but i'll have to do some measuring. Since I just got the alloy wheels, I think they're going to stay.

Got the ACOS this week and the control arms/shackles are on the way.
good deal. let us know.

Yeah, I had 30x9.50 with stock wheels on the 2" bb which has definitely sagged an inch in the rear. I never could get it to rub.

New stuff should be on this weekend. I'll post up how it works when done.

Update - Failed "Low CG" Build

Finally got into the garage and worked on the Jeep this weekend. I was actually able to do some light/moderate wheeling even before doing this work. It rubbed occasionally but actually worked well.

Added the adjustable uppers and lowers. 17.5 inches for the lowers and 17 inches on the uppers. This pushed the axle forward about 2 inches. The acos are really nice and easy to install... the hard part was getting the damn springs out, and back in. Even with compressors and the control arms, shock, sway bar etc. disconnected we almost couldn't do it.

2 inches forward on the front is about as far as I could go before the track bar hit the pumpkin during up travel. Then I cut another inch out of the front fender for more room. It doesn't rub even with the steering at full lock and stuffed. Actually, it looks like there will be room for 35's. The rear will work fine; I just need to extend the bumps about 1.5 inches and add 1.5" shackles. Moving the axle caused a few problems that I still need to sort out:

• The coil is bent and the bump on the acos rubs the spring during compression. I think i'll just relocate the spring pad
  • The shocks mount, but I think that mount needs to move too.
  • The sway bar can't be reconnected. I think I'll just drill some new holes in it and mount up the sway bar connection.
So, at 3 inches of lift there's no rubbing and plenty of room. With the suspension sagging, my 3 inch very well may be like a new 2 inch BB. Still have the same wheels and tires with the 3.75BS although if I had it to do over I'd go with 4.25BS.

Hope that helps anybody else trying something like this. If you have any ideas about relocating the coil/shock mount or fixing the sway bar issue let me know. I think that full width axles with large backspacing (like 5 inches) would be ideal to get the width and also keep the scrub radius down. Guess I'll start hunting for some 77 F250 axles or something.

Here's pics:
http://s1046.photobucket.com/albums/b466/rokk99/Low%20CG%20Build%20Update%20With%20Fixes/

For some reason, the photobucket link doesn't work.

Back