• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Failed CA Smog weird results.

I bought a can of bg44k that was suggested earlier. Just added it and filled the tank last night. I wont have time to drive a tank through it until this weekend.

I ran a litter of water through the engine. I did get a lot of white smoke coming from an exhaust leak between the cat and muffler. It through 4 codes after I was done.
p0300
p0301
p0306
p0500

The P0300 is multiple misfires, P0301 is #1 misfire, P0306 is #6 misfire. I don't know what P0500 is.

Let the BG do it's thing as recommended. A liter of water, eh? I'm proud of you. How did you feed the water to the engine?

I grabbed a litter of bottled water pushed an 1/8" drill bit through the cap. Had a friend keep it at 2500 run and squeezed. It took about 5 mins to get it all through.

I had a friend that would mix methanol in his tank so it would burn clean, seemed to work but not sure how much he put in.. I lived in socal at the time

the misfire codes are almost certainly from the water induction-which, by the way, works very well. i peered inside my cylinders before and after doing the water decarb(i used seafoam about 2k miles previous to this). it appeared that the water worked slightly better than the seafoam on the harder carbon deposits.
your 1.01 lamba is very slightly on the lean side. that's probably contributing slightly to the high nox.
i'd like to hear back about how the smog goes this next time.
fingers crossed....

Not yet. Spent the weekend with my boys. I only see them on weekends and they wanted to play so the Jeep sat on the side line this weekend. Going to try to get the timing checked this afternoon or tomorrow time permitting.

I went for a drive today to try and run the fuel system cleaner through the engine and the TPS is failing now probably has something to do with the water I ran through the intake. The infrared thermometer I ordered will be here today so I should have temp readings on the cats next. I am heading out of town for a week and will continue my quest of passing smog then. Be back Wed.
I really appreciate everyone's feed back and help. Couldn't have made it this far with out it.

So today I found some extra time and replaced the TPS and put the OEM plugs back in and took temps at the CATS. Intel temp was 608 and 630 outlet temp was 530 on both. Looks like I am in need of new CATS. Bummer.

Back