• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory vs After-market Driving Lights????

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
My 1990 XJ has factory driving lights. How do they compare to after-market driving lights?

I am changing front bumpers and thought I might upgrade to higher output lights. Is it possible to use the existing factory wiring for the new driving lights or is the factory wiring and relay not hefty enough to carry the increased load?

If you are comparing them to Hellas, IPFs, KCs, etc., then they don't.

If you are looking at buying some lights, get some Hellas or IPFs. Hellas are great quality and not too highly priced. IPFs are very nice, but are a lil' more costly.

If you want the all out best, go with KCs... if you're not afraid to spend $200 easily on just lights.

As for the wiring harness, I have no clue. If I had to guess, I'd say they are not hefty enough.

HTH...

yup, most harnesses aren't hefty enough. make your own, it's pretty easy, and while you're at it do the same for the hi and low beams.

I have the link somewhere, when I find it I'll post it.

btw, forget PIAA, they use a dedicated harness, and I had to have the housings sandblasted and powdercoated, and they were not abused.

they're fine now w/hella relay and aftermarket everything.

sv

mikeny59 said:
yup, most harnesses aren't hefty enough. make your own, it's pretty easy, and while you're at it do the same for the hi and low beams.

I have the link somewhere, when I find it I'll post it.

btw, forget PIAA, they use a dedicated harness, and I had to have the housings sandblasted and powdercoated, and they were not abused.

they're fine now w/hella relay and aftermarket everything.

sv

Thanks for the help. I'll look for your posting of the link.

Headlight Loom upgrade

Someone else on the forum posted it, I just bookmarked it. It's especially useful if you go w/Ecode H4's.

Looks complicated, really is not.

sv

Starscream918 said:
If you want the all out best, go with KCs... if you're not afraid to spend $200 easily on just lights.

I realy don't think KC's are the best. IPF, Hella, PIAA, Lightforce and a couple others I'm forgeting all make lights that run circles around KC's.

I had Hella H4 conversions with PIAA 65/75 (I think?) Halogen Ultra-whites on my old rig. They worked great (until I crashed it). I am looking to do a similar upgrade to my current rig, when funds accomodate.

Back