• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory tow hooks question?

Cris_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I wanted to know if factory hooks and brackets will be strong enough if you get stuck and someone has to winch you out ...Thanks

You are asking about a JEEP, not something like Honda CR-V. The XJ built to be used, not just for looks..... People buy Jeeps to use them, those other "toys" are purchased to look like they could do work. Also think about it, if they sold you "tow hooks" with the vehicle and they did not work you'd be back in the dealer complaining because it is a Jeep. You'd also be asking Jeep to repair the chassis because of their deficient design.

martin said:
Also think about it, if they sold you "tow hooks" with the vehicle and they did not work you'd be back in the dealer complaining because it is a Jeep. You'd also be asking Jeep to repair the chassis because of their deficient design.

That didn't work right.

I can confirm that people will come and complain that it is a Jeep and its made to do that. Mud, snow, jumps, whatever.

explorer said:
That didn't work right.

I can confirm that people will come and complain that it is a Jeep and its made to do that. Mud, snow, jumps, whatever.

Ok so let me put it this way ....will I be better of buying a (just for saying a brand) Custom 4x4 tow hooks and brackets ?? will they have a advantage over stock tow hooks??

I didn't mean it that way. I just worked at a dealer for a fair amount of time and saw some pretty amazing abuse that people expected and recieved warranty repair on. 3 broken 231 outputs on one TJ came to mind. The third was refused warranty I think. The factory setup is fine. If installed properly it distributes the loads through the unibody and is a very good setup.

explorer said:
I The factory setup is fine. If installed properly it distributes the loads through the unibody and is a very good setup.

That's what I wanted to know sense I have to buy hooks anyway and don't want to risk ripping the front end of my XJ by buying some hooks that will not stand to winching and some hard pulling if get stuck really bad .....normal pulling from the hooks Im not worry is the hard core shit pulling what scares me

Cris_XJ said:
That's what I wanted to know sense I have to buy hooks anyway and don't want to risk ripping the front end of my XJ by buying some hooks that will not stand to winching and some hard pulling if get stuck really bad .....normal pulling from the hooks Im not worry is the hard core shit pulling what scares me

Not to start a feud but if its hard pulling you want, I dont see how you could beat a front receiver hitch. Im sure the towhook brackets are fine but it would be hard to convince me that they are as strong as a receiver hitch that ties the frame rails together and is bolted to it in 6 places. Just an opinion and another option.

Beware of side pulls on the Mopar brackets...

The aftermarket clones use thicker material, I think. A stout bumper with well-designed mounts is a better alternative, IMHO.

The factory setup works well, as a kit. The hooks and the extended frame (bumper) braces aren´t all of it, the angle brackets to strengthen the cross member (in the front) are also a part.
You have to study the pull. I had a MOG with a 7.5 ton winch, that would pull just about anything off of Jeep, if it was stuck good enough.

I have to agree with the concern about side pulls with the OEM hooks.
I made the mistake of letting someone else hook up a recovery rope to my hooks and ended up bending one of them 90 degrees.
As per the previous poster... Study the pull first.
I have found the OEM hooks more than strong enough when used properly though.

jeeppowermj said:
Is it better to hook both tow hooks together with a chain or strap(like a triangle) or to just hook to one side if you are trying to avoid bending them?

That is exactly what I did to mine way back before I knew anything... not a good idea because it then imparts a lateral component into the pull that will (and did) bend the brackets.

Lawn Cher' said:
That is exactly what I did to mine way back before I knew anything... not a good idea because it then imparts a lateral component into the pull that will (and did) bend the brackets.

Which one? Also I've used a "triangle" and it bent mine a little. Are they still safe to use?

Two seasons ago, during elk season and in a moment of foolshness, I managed to get pretty seriously high centered and backed into a fairly deep ditch . . . . . we got it out after some very serious pulling/jerking and winching and the front hooks on the . . . . '88XJ front hooks held-up without a whimper. Don Becker

There are two more potential situations you need to be aware of when pulling hard with your front tow hooks: 1st, is that if your front axle is still a stock Dana 30, it is possible to break an axle part or the ring gear easier when pulling to the rear. 2nd, is that if the tow line has a metal hook or a shackle on the end away from you and it breaks that attachment point, you could be looking that heavy end of the tow line coming right thru your windshield into your face.

Try to always pull as directly fore and aft as possible. Avoid side pulls and place a heavy coat or carpet piece over the tow line at both ends. If that is not possible, align your pull so if the line breaks at either end, it won't be aimed at anyone's face.

I patrol the desert and desert mountains in an XJ. I am frequently pulling other vehicles out of sand, high centered and even mud holes. I will not pull from my front tow hooks if I can maneuver the rear of my XJ to be the pulling end. I use Custom 4X4's tow hooks. They are worth the little bit of more money.

Lastly, never give a tow a "running tug" from the front of your vehicle. I do occasionally give a "running tug" using my rear receiver hitch. I am using a 3''W x 30' L nylon tow strap rated at 27,000 lbs. I also use 3/4" shackles for attachment when I can.

One last piece of advice. If it is your vehicle that is getting pulled out, make sure that your front wheels are turned in the direction of the pull from the start. If it means jacking up the front end and turning the wheels that way, do it. You can really tweak the front end alignment by pulling the front wheels sideways thru the sand or mud.

Sorry to get so long winded, but I have a lot of hard-earned experience proving to myself that all of the above is necessary.

Back