• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer 8.8

outlawjeep said:
? Also will I need any spacers to put this under my XJ?

If you want them you can. The rear end is 3/4 of an inch narrower than a stock xj. A narrower rear is better anyway.

csudman said:
3.07 is what ive got now, open

Looks like you've done quite a bit with these rear ends; maybe you can answer my questions. I'm thinking of putting one of these in my 2001 to replace the 8.25 that lunched this past weekend. I've got 6" lift and am running 33" BFG AT/KOs with 4.56 gears currently & have been happy with it's performance. If I understand correctly,to replicate this with the 8.8, I'll need to:

A) regear whatever I get with 4.56's
B) install a locker of some sort (I've had Powertrax & Detroit EZ-Locker recommended for this) to get limited slip/locking when needed
C) remove the old mounting points & install new ones to fit the XJ
D) change out the E-brake cable to something that works with the discs
E) swap the yoke for one that fits the XJ u-joint

If the above statements are correct, then I have these questions:

1) I've seen someone state that the 8.8 pinion is offset 3" to the passenger side, does this mean that the axle needs to be shifted to the driver side to keep the driveshaft aligned (or is this the same offset as the XJ has)?
2) When going to discs in the rear, is the difference in stopping power enough to warrant installation of an adjustable brake bias valve?
3) Will I be able to use my current driveshaft (if I get the proper yoke) or will I need to have a longer/shorter one made for it (if so, I may as well have the larger yoke built on to the shaft)?
4) How hard is it to set up the gears in one of these? I've been told by a friend who runs drag cars that they're pretty well foolproof IF you follow the manual's setup procedure. Care to elaborate on the procedure and his opinion on this?

That's all I can think of for now; I'm sure I'll come up with more questions later... :banghead:

Back