• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer 8.8 stuff

Love2Ride450 said:
Thanks! I could always have my uncle lengthen the driveline for me if need be, I was mostly curious about vibes. Do you have any vibes?

slight vibe on decel. doesnt bother me.

That axle is sweet!!!! Looks like it was made to sit there, I like the new upper shock locating you did!

vegas_baja said:
Best price I could find locally was $300.
1999 v6 w/ 4.10's & trac-lok

car-part.com

jeep003.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1849.jpg

limited slip isnt really worth a schit. if youre gonna do an 8.8 swap might as well get it the cheapest you can find it, i got mine from a wrecking yard based in bakersfield, ca but has places all over (do a google search for LKQ salvage) delivered for $150.

spend some money on gears (youre gonna do it eventually anyway) and get a decent lunchbox locker (aussie or detroit ez locker) and be done with the whole deal for about $650. then regear up front and youre rockin.

the main point is the fact that ultimately youre going to want deeper gears, so why not do it right the first time.

just my 2 cents, and yes im a noob, but i just did this 8.8 swap in the last 3 months.

p.s. yes you will definitely want a sye and cv driveshaft, whether or not you need it is up for debate.

Well, thanks for the link to car-part.com! It helped a lot. I ended up calling a yard in Eugene, which is only about 60 miles from me. I was just getting ready to pay 300 for one, and go pull it. Then I decided to make a phone call to another yard (bigger) and they had one for 250 and were willing to ship it to a business address for $FREE$!! According to the VIN, it is a limited slip, but no info on gears. The yard is going to verify it is 4.10's before they ship.

I know the factory trac lock isn't a "locker" but it is a limited slip, and for the amount and type of wheeling I will be doing it should be great, and I won't have the unpredictable handling and clicking of an auto locker.

Oh, and this axle is supposed to have only 28,xxx miles on it!

Last edited:
Sweet... glad it worked out.

Love2Ride450 said:
Well, thanks for the link to car-part.com! It helped a lot. I ended up calling a yard in Eugene, which is only about 60 miles from me. I was just getting ready to pay 300 for one, and go pull it. Then I decided to make a phone call to another yard (bigger) and they had one for 250 and were willing to ship it to a business address for $FREE$!! According to the VIN, it is a limited slip, but no info on gears. The yard is going to verify it is 4.10's before they ship.

I know the factory trac lock isn't a "locker" but it is a limited slip, and for the amount and type of wheeling I will be doing it should be great, and I won't have the unpredictable handling and clicking of an auto locker.

Oh, and this axle is supposed to have only 28,xxx miles on it!

Back