• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

expedition trailer build question

AHH.....please DON'T HURT ME! this is my 49 chevy pickup, it would be a shame.
l_1c63493052bcc7bb260cb549d0be18ed.jpg

jesse

NICE TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!

I like the way you cut the stock jeep frame rails and brought them up to meet the tounge section. It looks great.

1/8" steel for the tounge is going to be stronger than the original sheet metal "frame" of the bed.

my wish is to construct a expedition trailer from a truck bed. i have seen older chevy model beds with removable fenders that leave a bare bucket. i think 60-66? that's what i want- in the short bed flavor- so that affixing homebrew flat fenders and other items to the outside is simple and easy.

andy

Thats exactly what i found and picked up for my trailer. It's sitting by the garage awaiting spring.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=938007

Well here is my idea. let me know what you all think....

I want to take a bed from a mj and cut the frame rails and put a tongue on it. On the bed where the cab goes i want to mount two spare tires for the trailer and my xj. (I plan on running the same tires and sizes on both). I plan on taking the factory axel out and put in a regular trailer axel in it. I want to put a carpet kit inside of the bed along with a camper shell. I figure i could mount a battery somewhere on the trailer tounge in a lock box that way i can have an electric heater and possibly a small cooler. I plan on adding a solar panel on top of the trailer to charge the battery a little while camping but plan on using the xj to charge it while towing the trailer. I also want to keep the factory gas tank where it is and put a Key switch to the tank with a hose running up to the front of the trailer by the spare tires. That way when i do go on a trip i can fill both my xj and the trailer with gas. (I am not sure if it is legal in California though).

What is your guys' input on my idea?

Well here is my idea. let me know what you all think....

I want to take a bed from a mj and cut the frame rails and put a tongue on it. On the bed where the cab goes i want to mount two spare tires for the trailer and my xj. (I plan on running the same tires and sizes on both). I plan on taking the factory axel out and put in a regular trailer axel in it. I want to put a carpet kit inside of the bed along with a camper shell. I figure i could mount a battery somewhere on the trailer tounge in a lock box that way i can have an electric heater and possibly a small cooler. I plan on adding a solar panel on top of the trailer to charge the battery a little while camping but plan on using the xj to charge it while towing the trailer. I also want to keep the factory gas tank where it is and put a Key switch to the tank with a hose running up to the front of the trailer by the spare tires. That way when i do go on a trip i can fill both my xj and the trailer with gas. (I am not sure if it is legal in California though).

What is your guys' input on my idea?

It'll be weighty... I got rid of the O.E. tank for two reasons... one it adds weight and it'll be the first thing hit out on the trail... as to the shell it too will add extra weight... mine is this way right now and I will hopefully have it towable SOOON... I don't plan on keeping the shell and will lose it later. One of my thoughts is to lighten it up as much as possible then add back as NEEDED... or to trim the balance.
Look on the Adventure Forum for Prepmech's MJ bed build... it's NICE !!
I'm with you on the charging plans...
Curt

Back