• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition Cherokee

I have been interested in Expedition type vehicles all of my life. I have been lured by the more recent rock crawling stuff, but Expedition type events have always been my persuit.

I have found this tread extremely interesting given the VERY diverse opinions and ideas.

Personally I do not think that the XJ is a great starting platform for a Expedition vehicle. Not to say that it can not be done, or that you could not build a great expedition vehicle out of one (I believe you can). But I think that the Land Rovers have already proven that they are far more suited to this type of endevor. The Land Cruiser is probably a second viable option.

Here is my general thoughts:
You need large carrying capacity inside and out. Very long suspension travel consistent front to back. Resonable tires (32-35" depending on wheel base).
Excellent skid protection. ARB's are a great choice. good winch and complete recovery gear. And the more obviouse (First aid, food, etc,etc).

I would think the best off the shelf part for this on a XJ would be a OME 3" lift and trim for narrow 33's. Supper 44 and Super 30, ARB's, Interior cage with exterior protection and skids.

Michael
PS. Most expedition racks use gutter mounted supports. Usually with 4 or 6 points of attachment (depending on size and weight).

2xtreme said:
Michael
PS. Most expedition racks use gutter mounted supports. Usually with 4 or 6 points of attachment (depending on size and weight).

Unfortuatley the two piece XJ raingutter design won't hold up :(

cracker said:
Unfortuatley the two piece XJ raingutter design won't hold up :(

Not sure what you mean by two piece design?

Most external raingutters that I am aware of are the joint for the lower body structure and roof. A VERY strong part of many vehicles. Is there something different on an XJ that I am not aware of that would make it different than any other vehicle?

There is no reason that a properly attached rain gutter style mount for a expedition rack could not support 2-3 hundred pounds. Anything more than that weight and I think there are other areas of concern on an XJ personally.

2xtreme said:
Not sure what you mean by two piece design?

Most external raingutters that I am aware of are the joint for the lower body structure and roof. A VERY strong part of many vehicles. Is there something different on an XJ that I am not aware of that would make it different than any other vehicle?

There is no reason that a properly attached rain gutter style mount for a expedition rack could not support 2-3 hundred pounds. Anything more than that weight and I think there are other areas of concern on an XJ personally.

The XJ design has a small lip coming off of the unibody with a 2nd piece GLUED onto it to give it the tall profile. Like many others, I have ripped my GLUED off and now the rain gutters are useless. I ripped it off with 6 feet and about 100lbs of weight. The design is a piece of shit and cannot handle any significant weight. You are better off using the rivserts provided with the factory roof rack rails but even there, they suck. A well designed, minimal cage is what is necessary to take 200-300# of weight up there while wheeling.

That is the reason that a properly attached rain gutter style mount for a expedition rack could not support 2-3 hundred pounds.

Root Moose said:
I'll take some images (PM to follow).

When I was looking at a vehicle to build this is one reason why I discounted the FJ60 and FJ80 at the time - gas mileage. In retrospect...

Mind you, a FJ55/60/62 with "modern" drivetrain (SBC, 700R4, NV case) should get pretty good mileage compared to stock. We got the FJ60 and FJ62 up here with the diesel - both 4 cyl and 6 cylinder variants IIRC. I dunno if a 55 would be a good expedition truck given the age. Depends on what you are prepared to put up with I guess.
Been there, done that, now I like my XJ.

FJ55s are fun, but weigh about 1,000 lbs more. Parts are nearly impossible to find (esp. body parts) , and when you do they are $$$. Rust is big, big problem since they used pretty crappy steel to make 'em. I snapped every other bolt it seems, regarless of PB Blaster, WD-40, flame, or voodoo. I swear, when I started grinding on the body, I could see "Miller High Life" labels coming though the steel. Not really, but it was mighty spotty with different colors of steel.

Nevada City Sparky said:
I swear, when I started grinding on the body, I could see "Miller High Life" labels coming though the steel. Not really, but it was mighty spotty with different colors of steel.

LOL

I second what cracker is saying about the rain gutters.

For thoese that haven't noticed this... go to your XJ and grab the rain gutter at the top of the A pillar and pull. Don't pull to hard though or you'll pull it of all the way back to the D pillar. :)

dupe - damn satellite internet.

Root Moose said:
LOL

I second what cracker is saying about the rain gutters.

For thoese that haven't noticed this... go to your XJ and grab the rain gutter at the top of the A pillar and pull. Don't pull to hard though or you'll pull it of all the way back to the D pillar. :)

But isnt that just a trim piece? How does that affect structural rigidity if pulled off? The gutter is still spot welded together making it a solid mounting point.

If it is different than say an FJ80 please enlighten me as i am building an Expedition XJ and am currently using a gutter mounted rack.

John B said:
But isnt that just a trim piece? How does that affect structural rigidity if pulled off? The gutter is still spot welded together making it a solid mounting point.

If it is different than say an FJ80 please enlighten me as i am building an Expedition XJ and am currently using a gutter mounted rack.

It is a Trim piece of the vehicle that doubles as structural to the rain gutter ONLY. Without that piece the rain gutter clamps have nothing to attach to. As far as structural for the whole XJ, it is not.

Mine broke off within two months of use. It was/is a Yakima rack with 6 raingutter feet (3 load bars). After that 'trim' piece broke the rack would slide forward and pop off.

cracker said:
It is a Trim piece of the vehicle that doubles as structural to the rain gutter ONLY. Without that piece the rain gutter clamps have nothing to attach to. As far as structural for the whole XJ, it is not.

Mine broke off within two months of use. It was/is a Yakima rack with 6 raingutter feet (3 load bars). After that 'trim' piece broke the rack would slide forward and pop off.

My gutter mounts do not attach to the trim piece. They may be considered "stops" to the gutter assembly but they do not keep the clamps in place. I'm running a Garvin rack.

Matter of fact, i went turtle up on this rack and never did any of the mounting points come seperated from the gutter assembly. The mounts did bend over, but they never seperated from the vehicle.

I'm guessing that your Yakima's being three seperate pieces was the cause for seperation, compared to my mounting system being tied together as one piece.

My Garvin rack was straightened out and reinstalled on my current XJ.

That trim piece is just that. A trim piece.

The gutter is just like most other gutters. the bottem section is part of the lower unibody and the upper section is part of the roof. The joint of these two parts is very strong and very capable of holding a suitable rack.

I do have a yakima rack on my gutters (without the trim) and have had it up there (off and on) for years. Works fine for me, stays nice and tight in one spot, even when hit by the tree's.

A properly attached expedition rack should have no issues with 2-3 hundred pounds on the gutter mount. With or without the trim piece up there.

Michael

The ARB rack has an additional peice that adds strength to the rail...might be worthwhile to copy...
http://www.arbusa.com/arb_roof_racks.htm Not really shown in the link but mentioned at least.

I used a Thule rack that worked on both my drivers side without the trim and the pass side with it. The top clamp put pressure behind the trim and the bottem part wrapped far enough under the rail to not be affected by the trim peice, there or not. The gutter rail is strong but I would still copy the ARB design and maybe improve on it to help distribute the load, the gutter can and will break apart if beat enough.

I know that this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add a thought. I built my own roof rack / safari rack and drip rail mounts.

Racks28.jpg

And the FIRST thing to come off when I built the rack, was the plastic / chrome trim peice.

For more, take a look at the build, Little Orphan Annie.

I love talking expedition.
99 xj, stock d30 and 8.25.
Would you all recommend carrying spare drive shaft, and front and real axles? How about starter and alternator?
Dual batteries? On board air or tank?
I'm starting to gather everything needed for a Rubicon run in June from so cal.

Back