• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exo vs Internal Cages

Beezil said:
goatman...

you weren't in the rig for the last one!!!

it was fun!

Goat, I dunno man, my definition of "easy" or "difficult" doesn't change when something takes a hundre or so hours to complete.

It would take me a long time to paint my whole house, inside and out, and I consider painting to be stupid-easy.

I guess its a matter of perspective.

Beez, I guess I'm not hanging around here enough to follow everything, I didn't know you had another hard roll. Is rolling becoming a part of your driving technique? :D :D

I understand what you're saying about easy, but I figure time as an element since I don't have a lot of it. I think in terms of big job/little job rather than easy/hard, and moving everything over to another rig and duplicating/improving all the custom stuff is a BIG job. :)

Goatman said:
I understand what you're saying about easy, but I figure time as an element since I don't have a lot of it. I think in terms of big job/little job rather than easy/hard, and moving everything over to another rig and duplicating/improving all the custom stuff is a BIG job. :)

I agree on this one, I don't really beleive in the whole disposable theme, and I can't beleive Andy is still playing that tune after spending the last few months striping and putting in a cage and a few odds and ends in the princess II, And he still has a long long way to go. Yes its all easy as described by Beezil, each step is easy and uncomplicated but its a pretty major project all together. Not that I think the original princess was very repairable, but I don't see Andy disposing his junk every 2-3 years and rotating vehicles (which is kind of what it sounds like). Its not all bolt on junk also, when you are at the level you start destroying stuff, its quite likely that you have a bunch of junk welded onto the structure.

Oh I agree, its certainly served its time and deserves a simpler life the next time around, maybe it can be recycled into a honda accord and a little ole lady can drive it.

Beezil said:
Gary, don't forget, that's not just any jeep that can be kicked to the curb like last summers lawn clippings, that is URF's TEST MULE.

This may be an unanswerable question, since most XJ's with exo-cages are not daily drivers.....

Is there a noticable drop in gas mileage when adding an exo-cage? Of course there is the added weight (which I gather, is even more than an interior cage); but is there enough extra drag added to hurt mileage or add significant wind noise?

Beezil said:
And when I do a buggy, it sure as hell isn't gonna be with a 4.0/aw-4.....its gonna be with a powertrain that weighs FAR less, less peripheral sensor garbage, but still fuel injection. I smell a V-6 of some sort.

3.4 on LPG that's what I would do for cheap, light, good power, run at any angle, etc....

Mark Hinkley said:
I now just realized what that thing reminds me of, it has been bugging me and I now have it!

Doesn't it look like one of those little trick cars at some redneck fair which stop real fast and the roll over back to their wheels! That's it! What are they called? Beezil you could get a special plate calling it that! :D

hinkley

Hey, can't we get back on subject of messing with Beezil's rig!

:D

hinkley

Like yours is the cats meow with those two dildo knobbies sticking out the top?

you could make money selling sit-and-spin rides at the next gay pride parade.

Re: Exp vs Internal Cages

Beezil said:
Like yours is the cats meow with those two Dido knobbies sticking out the top?

you could make money selling sit-and-spin rides at the next gay pride parade.
Finally, I didn't want to pick on your rig without you reciprocating. :D

hinkley

TIME for a second pic in this 5 page thread!!!!

My cage is not done, but has alot of good lines and ideas that may help you guys out.

It will be a 4 seater, with cage over the back seats.
It can be run with or with out full doors, I havent made tube doors yet.
You could do this and keep the roof but would need some holes through the body, no big deal. I dove tailed the rear by 12in with the rear roof gone.

Its close to done bust still ugly till I do the finish work..

download.php

download.php
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139642&pagenumber=6

Tirangulation makes the cage work...
Ive maintined space for back seat leg room and have some well supported braces. The B-hoop x-brace ties into some angle iron plates the are welded to the frame that is sleaved with box tube.

I will this weekend to the rear roof hoop over the back set and do a V-brace on it to the b-hoop just like the front is. This again could be done on top of your roof if you kept the roof, it would just be wider addign more tube...

download.php

Woah! I didnt mean to start a massive lets-hate-beezs-rig thread. I was just lazy and forgetful in trying to find infoe for my senior project. Sorry guys, but enjoy the mudslinging about hard vs. easy and how much beez's rig sucks, it is funny at least.

Gecko said:
Woah! I didnt mean to start a massive lets-hate-beezs-rig thread. I was just lazy and forgetful in trying to find infoe for my senior project. Sorry guys, but enjoy the mudslinging about hard vs. easy and how much beez's rig sucks, it is funny at least.

Its okay, its just hinkley....we'll talk about how much *HE* sucks on your next thread!

Ashman, are you going to be putting any tubes across the door opening?
Would it be possible to make something similar as an exo on an MJ? I think with the exception of tubes across the doors, it could fit snugly around the cab. The b-hoop and cross braces could come down behind the cab and tie in to the frame.

Phil Weeks said:
Ashman, are you going to be putting any tubes across the door opening?
Would it be possible to make something similar as an exo on an MJ? I think with the exception of tubes across the doors, it could fit snugly around the cab. The b-hoop and cross braces could come down behind the cab and tie in to the frame.

My cherokee has full hard doors that will be run for now, but soon I will make a set of tube doors with latches, If in addition I do a perminent door bar it will be internal like bezils.

I got 9 more piece of tube (not NInE 20ft sticks!) on it over the weekend Its really comming together now..might be just about done next weekend.

Back